LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW & ABB DCS

Hi wanted to ask if LabVIEW 8.0 and its DSC module can be used to interface with ABB Distributed Control System (DCS) via OPC?
If possible, anyone could offer any website for reference of information? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,091 Views)

@HWJ wrote:
Hi wanted to ask if LabVIEW 8.0 and its DSC module can be used to interface with ABB Distributed Control System (DCS) via OPC?
If possible, anyone could offer any website for reference of information? Thanks.

I haven't any experience with the ABB DCS system really, but since it seems to support OPC as you say I would not see why it shouldn't be usable with LabVIEW DSC.

Have you any specific reasons to doubt that this would work?

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 05-16-2006 10:01 AM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,072 Views)
Hi to be more specific, the question should be if anyone knows which are the OPC servers that supports the ABB DCS systems?
and is LabVIEW and its module able to program with this OPC server?

Are there any specific OPC servers that can only be used? or any should do the job? ie SQL?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,066 Views)

HWJ hello, I hope things are well.

National Instruments provides OPC server software that is capable of communicating with a large number of PLCs, RTUs, and a host of other industrial devices. Each channel or register item of the hardware device is exposed as an OPC data item. Please take a look at this site for a list of National Instruments supported devices.

Please post if you have further questions.

Efosa O.
NI-AE

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,054 Views)

@HWJ wrote:
Hi to be more specific, the question should be if anyone knows which are the OPC servers that supports the ABB DCS systems?
and is LabVIEW and its module able to program with this OPC server?

Are there any specific OPC servers that can only be used? or any should do the job? ie SQL?

I would think that the best way to find this out would be to contact ABB directly. If they do not have an OPC server for their DCS system then things are getting a little hairy I'm afraid. Maybe there are ABB partners out there that have developed such a solution if ABB didn't do it themselves but then the ABB sales people should know that too and they probably are quite willing to tell you if there are such solutions.

Once you have an OPC server solution for your system LabVIEW DSC will simply need to be configured to connect to this server and access the tags yuou are interersted in.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,046 Views)
Try this link. Matrikon seems to have an OPC server for everything from garbage cans to rat tails! http://www.matrikonopc.com/opc-drivers/18/index.aspx Good luck Dave
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,033 Views)

Try this site. They have ABB DCS drive info on it.

http://www.clrwtr.com/ABB-Drives.htm

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,143 Views)