LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8 subpanel scrollbars?

Does anyone know how to control the scrollbars on a subpanel in LabVIEW 8?

Here's what I think:
* If the VI in the subpanel is running, then it shows/hides the scrollbars based on that VI's Window Appearance
* If the VI in the subpanel is NOT running, then it ALWAYS shows the scrollbars
* If the VI in the subpanel is running, and stops executing at some point, the scrollbars suddenly appear.

Does anyone know an exception to the second and third points?

This functionality seems like a step backwards to me is big step backwards and big pain in my toucus (sp?). It also makes upgrading from LabVIEW 7 a big problem for some applications. Why remove control from the programmer in this case? There aren't even properties or methods available (that I can see) to control it programmatically.

Message Edited by 10Things on 12-13-2005 08:01 AM

Message 1 of 6
(6,212 Views)
The decision of whether or not to show the scrollbars now lies entirely in the properties of the inserted VI (more specifically, the properties of the VIs pane or panes). The scrollbars will show or not show exactly as they would if the VI were not inserted in a subpanel.

Note that the pane scrollbars now have 3 possible states: Always On, Always Off, or Off While Running. VIs that have been converted from previous versions of LabVIEW will have their panes' scrollbars set to either Always On or Off While Running, to match their previous settings.

There are two ways to decide how you want the scrollbars displayed when the VI is in a subpanel. One way allows the inserted VI to decide, in which you simply change the settings of the inserted VI to your liking. This is probably the easiest way to handle VIs that only appear in subpanels, as opposed to sometimes in subpanels and sometimes not.

The other way is to have the outer VI direct the settings of the inner VI as it inserts it. This is not too difficult since you already have the reference to the VI handy for the InsertVI method. To access the pane scrollbar properties, you would get the Front Panel reference from the VI reference, and then get the array of pane references from the Front Panel reference. I've attached a VI that does just this as an example (in a real application, it might be a good idea to force the setting of the scrollbars to occur before the VI is inserted). This method of dealing with the settings is ideal for an existing application with many VIs that are already being inserted into a subpanel. By only touching the VI that contains the subpanel (as opposed to every VI that gets inserted), you get the behavior controlled as you like.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the behavior of these properties.
Message 2 of 6
(6,197 Views)
As was pointed out by E. Blasberg today on Info-LabVIEW, the way to select the properties for a scrollbar in LV8 is to right click on the front panel scrollbar - then you'll see a popup menu that lets you select from Always On, Always Off, or Off While Running.  This should let you access all the properties for the VI's scrollbars without having to create a property node.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,092 Views)
... and when you then have removed both scrollbars and want them back.!!!????..... Do not panic - go to Window Apperance, Customise and set Show vertical scroll bar and Show horizontal scrollbar on.

Regards
Henrik Molsen
H. Molsen, CIM Industrial Systems
CLA, CTA
Message 4 of 6
(5,704 Views)
The reply form JonMendez, just made my day to a happy day. Smiley Very Happy.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,291 Views)

In case people were wondering where window apperance is, it is located under File->Vi Properties

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,324 Views)