From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.6 exectuable cannot load NI_AALBase.lvlib:Median.vi with only LV8.6 runtime installed

I have built a fairly simple application that uses the NI Report Generation Toolkit and some mathematical subVIs from the Advanced Analysis library (mean and median) plus other standard stuff.  The source code and executable run fine on the development PC.

I have installed only the LabVIEW 8.6 runtime engine on the target PC, which has got no other NI software installed.  The application \Data folder contains lvanlys.dll plus other dlls as necessary support files created by the application builder.  When it comes to run the executable, it generates the following error message:

LabVIEW resource not found.

An error occurred loading VI "NI_AALBase.lvlib:Median.vi".

LabVIEW load error code 3: Could not load front panel.

Closing this error window opens another for Mean.vi.  I tried explicitly including NI_AALBase.lvlib in the Source Files (see attached) but it did not make any difference.  I have seen many references to this type of problem occurring in LV8.2 and LV8.2.1 but the suggested solutions do not apply in my case.  I even tried making an installer, but the installer build process generated a long list of errors.

There is obviously still a bug in the LabVIEW application builder causing this problem, but is there a work-around?

Mike Miles

CLD, UK

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(7,039 Views)

Hi Dr.Spock,

Try adding Median.vi to to "add dynamically vi" probably solve the problem.

I face this problem with internet toolkit compiled vi before.

Using this technique solve the problem in my case.

Regards, Kate

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(7,011 Views)
The creation of the installer should not create any errors and I have been building a lot of executables with 8.5 and 8.6 without seeing any bugs or errors in my builds. Creating an installer is the best way to ensure you have everything installed. What are the errors that are generated?
Message 3 of 16
(7,009 Views)

I have attached some screenshots of the installer build process.  Is there something obvious I am doing wrong - I have not created an installer using 8.6 before, only 7.1, so it has been a while.  I normally just build executables.  Do you need me to provide additional detail about my settings?

Another thing: why does the NI Report Gen Toolkit create all the source file folders when doing a build?  Does this mean these sources files are all loaded dynamically by the report generation top-level VIs?  Why does LabVIEW have so many duplicate VIs for report generation?

In reply to Kate, are you referring to a setting in the build specification?  Do you mean I should add all necessary AAL subVIs explicitly to the "Always Included" list?  I previously tried adding the whole NI_AALBase.lvlib to "Always Included" but it didn't fix the problem.

Why should I need to do anything special with the AAL subVIs when the app builder should take care of all this anyway?

Any one more question: why did the error relate to not being able to load the VI front panel?  Surely all such subVIs are built without front panels (this is the default setting in the app builder).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(6,998 Views)

Hi Dr.Spock,

I dig down into some history with a problem building installer error with NI_MDF.lvlib, and found some suggestions probably help.

1. If you migrate from older LabVIEW version, and found this problem. Try re-create a build specification: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/14C0A3F7CD324E48862572E20080A487

2. Try uninstalling older version: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=376959&requireLogin=False

3. Rebuild exe and re-configure installer: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=357997&requireLogin=False

Please give them a try.

Regards, Kate

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(6,982 Views)

I have not migrated the code from a previous version.  It is new 8.6 code.  I do have LabVIEW versions 7.1, 8.2.1, 8.5.1, and 8.6 installed on the same PC, but since they are in different locations, and 8.6 was the last one installed, there should be no interference.  I cannot uninstall any older versions because I still use them. 

Your item 3 may be useful at some point, but I have rebuilt the executable several times and the installer still doesn't build. 

The executable does work but only on a development system, so there is nothing wrong with the executable, only the runtime support for it installed by the runtime engine.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(6,978 Views)

Dr Spock wrote:

I have attached some screenshots of the installer build process.  Is there something obvious I am doing wrong - I have not created an installer using 8.6 before, only 7.1, so it has been a while.  I normally just build executables.  Do you need me to provide additional detail about my settings?

Another thing: why does the NI Report Gen Toolkit create all the source file folders when doing a build?  Does this mean these sources files are all loaded dynamically by the report generation top-level VIs?  Why does LabVIEW have so many duplicate VIs for report generation?

In reply to Kate, are you referring to a setting in the build specification?  Do you mean I should add all necessary AAL subVIs explicitly to the "Always Included" list?  I previously tried adding the whole NI_AALBase.lvlib to "Always Included" but it didn't fix the problem.

Why should I need to do anything special with the AAL subVIs when the app builder should take care of all this anyway?

Any one more question: why did the error relate to not being able to load the VI front panel?  Surely all such subVIs are built without front panels (this is the default setting in the app builder).

Your third image shows that you do not seem to have any installer packages installed on your computer so the Installer Builder can't even include the runtime into the package. Something with your LabVIEW 8.6 installation seems seriously borked and I would recommend a repair of the installation or maybe even a complete reinstall.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 16
(6,952 Views)

Thanks Ralph, I did a repair and the installers list now seems to be fully populated.  I cannot tell yet whether this has fixed my original problem or not.  I will try to reinstall the executable on another PC.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(6,917 Views)

Hi Kate...

Could you please expand a little on the below solution...

Try adding Median.vi to to "add dynamically vi" probably solve the problem.

How is this done..

Thanks and Regards,

Abel

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(6,070 Views)
Help>>Search the LabVIEW Help>>Fundamentals>>Building and Distributing Applications>>Creating Build Specifications>>Building a Stand-Alone Specifications. Look for Source Files, and click on it. An information is on that page.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(6,038 Views)