From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2017 SP1 Uninstalls VIPM

Solved!
Go to solution

LabVIEW 2017 SP1 (and SP1 F1 patch) have been released and there has been a discussion over on LAVA about it.  I went and downloaded it right away and installed it (along with the patch) and went away trying new cool things.  I noticed a few of my QuickDrop functions weren't working right so I went to VIPM to unisntall and reinstall my QuickDrop package only to discover that VIPM was gone.  It was missing from the Add/Remove Programs listing, and my Program Files (x86)JKI\VI Package Manager folder only contained a single INI file that was last modified around the time I installed 2017.  I went and redownloaded and reinstalled VIPM and it seems to work fine and remembers all the packages that are installed so the ProgramData cache likely didn't get wiped.

Could someone over at NI look into this or explain why this happened?  And for anyone else installing SP1, just know you may have to reinstall VIPM too.

Message 1 of 9
(4,577 Views)

Yep, I also just had to do this. I can't understand why VIPM was removed.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,515 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Hooovahh

Thank you for bringing this to our attention; it is not expected behavior.

I have filed a CAR on this, and we are working towards a resolution. At this point, our recommended workaround is to run the LabVIEW 2017 SP1 installer again. This will indicate that no changes will occur to VI Package Manager, however, in our tests it has proven to resolve the issue.

If that is not the case, please advise and we will look for an alternate workaround.

Edit: Please note that this appears to only occur in the case of installing LabVIEW 2017 SP1 with VI Package Manager 2017 already installed. We do not have any reports of LabVIEW 2017 SP1 removing versions of VI Package Manager other than 2017.

--------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
(4,462 Views)

I'm about to install LV 2017 SP1.  I noticed that in the long list of preselected and unselected options in the the product list, VI Package Manager was not selected to be installed as the default.

I don't know if that means it will uninstall what is already there, but I'm going to select the option to install, and see if I have any issues with losing it after installing all the software and drivers.  Hopefully, I won't have to do a 2nd install to get it back like Chris's e-mail says.  I'll report back in a few hours and let you know how it turned out.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,275 Views)

When I recently (last Monday) installed LabVIEW 2017 SP1 (with LabVIEW 2017 and VIPM installed), not only did I have VIPM "selected" to be installed, the pop-up post-installation said it was "Successfully installed" (but, in fact, it had been "successfully uninstalled").  Called NI, they found mention of this (and, I think, the CAR), said to just do a "Reinstall".  I choose to reinstall only LabVIEW 2017 SP1 and VIPM -- it skipped doing the LabVIEW Install (because it found it), but successfully reinstalled VIPM.  And Away We Go ...

Bob "It's a Known Bug" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,258 Views)

Yes, I had the same problem after 2017 SP1 install. However, I just downloaded the VIPM from JKI, installed it, and it was showing all previously installed packages/addons correctly...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,252 Views)

Here's the KB that addresses it: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019OaPSAU

As a followup, we rebuilt all of the web-based suite installers as well as the standalone LabVIEW installers. They should all have "VIPMFix" appended to the filename. We did not rebuild the ISOs or rekit shipping media; in those cases you will need to follow the steps outlined in the KB.

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,251 Views)

Okay.  I can now confirm that even selecting the VI package manager to install in the software tree, it was still uninstalled.

Reinstalling like the KB says did work.  Of course be sure to unmark all the extra software you don't want to install again, because the installer never remembers what items you want and which you don't want.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,233 Views)

When I downloaded LabVIEW 2017 SP1 from the "downloads" section it now is appended with a new name:

2017sp1LV-WinEng_VIPMfix  

It looks like this has been rolled out.  I'm testing today and will report any issues.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,028 Views)