LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2015 SP1 - LabVIEW Pro installed (and activated) but treating users like LabVIEW Full.

Solved!
Go to solution

Has anyone heard of this issue before?

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,806 Views)

I guess when you say "activated" it must be local licenses?  We use network licenses here and have seen a similar problem.

Our Full Dev System network licenses are "unmanaged concurrent".  The Pro licensed users have to disable the license request for a Full license type in the license manager to skip it and check for a named user Pro license.  Otherwise they only get a Full license.

The LabVIEW startup screen shows which level of license has been obtained.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,755 Views)

@TroyK wrote:

I guess when you say "activated" it must be local licenses?  We use network licenses here and have seen a similar problem.

Our Full Dev System network licenses are "unmanaged concurrent".  The Pro licensed users have to disable the license request for a Full license type in the license manager to skip it and check for a named user Pro license.  Otherwise they only get a Full license.

The LabVIEW startup screen shows which level of license has been obtained.

That scenario sounds suspiciously like what I've found to be the case with our licenses.  I'll have more info next week.  (Off tomorrow.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,753 Views)

Hi,

I would recommend looking at NI License Manager to see how your software is being licensed.

Is this a local license? Network? Both?

Are there competing licenses that are trying to activate this software?

What behavior (specifically, if possible) are you seeing that prompted this forum post?

Is this a new installation? How long has this behavior been occurring?

Local licenses can sometimes block volume licenses, even if the server is correct. 

Kevin S.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,721 Views)

Yes, it bit me in the behind a few years ago.  I forgot what "Professional" parts I was using, but it was strangely missing.  I called NI, got a very nice (they all are, in my experience) AE, who listened, walked me though the process, we opened License Manager and he asked what was activated.  I said "Full" (and more-or-less remembered doing that instead of Professional, since I really didn't completely understand the distinction), and once I clicked "Professional", problem was solved, my face was red (but we weren't using VideoPhones), and I Learned my Lesson ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,698 Views)

Sorry for the late update.

It seems that, at some point in time, there existed a license server.  (I see an entry in the server.ini that corresponds to what a trusted source tells me is a general license server, but hasn't been used for LabVIEW in forever.)  Now that the server has been out of the picture for well over 14 days, I expect the backup license has "expired".  (See Backup Licenses and Expiring Activations in NI Package Manager.)

What I am seeing is that I try to install a local pro license.  About LabVIEW shows it as "Professional" but it acts like "Full" for all users.

After searching far and wide, I feel like we have conflicting license issue here.  Can the expired VLM interfere with local licenses like this?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,661 Views)

Does it still happen even when you remove the reference to the license server in the License Manager?

[License Manager 3.7] Options > Preferences > {untick "Use Volume License Servers"}

[License Manager 4.2] Menu > Manage Volume License Servers... > {clear the text field}

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,651 Views)

@TroyK wrote:

Does it still happen even when you remove the reference to the license server in the License Manager?

[License Manager 3.7] Options > Preferences > {untick "Use Volume License Servers"}

[License Manager 4.2] Menu > Manage Volume License Servers... > {clear the text field}

I was so hopeful!  I used method 2 to clear the text field but it didn't work.  I then deactivated LabVIEW + everything else listed and reactivated them with the pro license and it did not work, either.  Dang, I thought this would work!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,645 Views)

Last attempt, close all the NI applications down and delete this file:

%ProgramData%\National Instruments\License Manager\Data > servers.ini

Then start the license manager again.  That was one of the debugging steps I went through with NI support when we were having license problems last year.

Doc ref here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019PmvSAE

and here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8cESAS

Maybe this will help too...

How Do I Stop NI License Manager Requesting Particular Software?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,641 Views)

@TroyK wrote:

Last attempt, close all the NI applications down and delete this file:

%ProgramData%\National Instruments\License Manager\Data > servers.ini

Then start the license manager again.  That was one of the debugging steps I went through with NI support when we were having license problems last year.

Doc ref here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019PmvSAE

and here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8cESAS

Maybe this will help too...

How Do I Stop NI License Manager Requesting Particular Software?

Unfortunately, closing all the NI apps and deleting the server.ini file didn't help.  I then deactivated everything that was listed as activated, rebooted and added them back.  That didn't work, either.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,625 Views)