cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2011 Student Edition on Mac Installation

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I installed LabVIEW 2011 Student edition on my Mac with the OS Mac OSX Version 10.7.1 Lion edition.

At first it wouldn't install (I had installation failure because Lion OSX is 64 bit and not 32)

I used the intructions as demonstrated in the link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

as I found in the forum thread of: 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Installing-LabVIEW-2011-for-Mac-OS-X-10-7-Lion-fails/m-p/1653742?req...

After I changed to 32 bit, the apple terminal warned me by doing so I wouldn't be able to save stuff correctly.

The software installed after I used the directions for 32 bit mode, but for some reason it did not say I was in 32 bit mode on the Apple activity monitor, it said 64 bit.

I went to the terminal and used the instructions to turn the operating system into 64 bit (even though it already say it was in 64 bit, despite LabVIEW installing, which requires 32 bit). I rebooted the computer, and I was able to use LabVIEW 2011.

My question:

Once LabVIEW 2011 Mac student edition is installed in 32 bit mode, can it be operated when the computer is in 64 bit mode?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,001 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoeGanser

Hi JoeGanser,

Booting your Mac into OSX 64 bit should still enable LabVIEW to run, even though it is a 32 bit program. You will encounter problems however when using NI-DAQmx Base, NI-VISA or NI-488.2 drivers while running in 64 bit mode.

I have found a KnowledgeBase Article, which explains why this is the case.

Please let me know if that answers your question, please post back if you have further questions.

Regards,

Ben B.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland

"I've looked into the reset button, the science is impossible!"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,992 Views)

cool, thankyou

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,987 Views)

where do I buy/find/aquire the macintosh student edition?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,912 Views)

You can get it here. The student edition includes LabVIEW Student Edition for Mac OS X 10.4.0 or later.

Katie

Katie Collette
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,890 Views)