LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVOOP

Hi,

I need help, I don't know how to create a voltmeter or thermometer in LVOOP. I'm simulating a signal via NI MAX. I have created the program in the classic LabView, but I don't know how to create it in OOP. Excuse my experience, but I have very little experience with LabView.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,069 Views)

Your question make very little sense.

So you have a working program that you don't even show and want to rewrite it using a vague buzzword. If you have very little experience in LabVIEW, I recommend to get more experience first.

LVOOP is part of classic LabVIEW, and has been for over a decade.

Message 2 of 6
(1,041 Views)

I understand I would like to gain more experience, but I have it in school and unfortunately they did not teach us much and they want to work for us to create a Voltmeter and Thermometer from a simulated card (via NI MAX) in OOP.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,030 Views)

You can make a class anyway you want to.

For hardware, it can be as simple as an method for Initialize, Acquire and Close.

This will give you a nicely encapsulated driver.

If both devices fit in this scheme, you can make a parent that doesn't do anything (abstract, interface-ish) and make the two devices it's child.

Usually, inits\settings are different. You can either accept they are different (and not use them for polymorphic trickery), or give them a generic input (file, ini reference, settings class, etc), so you can init the devices polymorphically.

I wouldn't recommend hardware to try out or learn OO. If your plan is to make an hardware abstraction layer, I'd suggest to get some OO mileage first. Then you can decide not to do it based on experience 😁.

EDIT: That crossed your reply...

Message 4 of 6
(1,014 Views)

Haven't been on the forums in a while. All the Knights of NI I'm seeing pretty rude and unhelpful as I jump back in the last few days.

This post might be useful if you're used to OOP it gives kind of a basic high level of some OOP approaches to LabVIEW.

Software Engineering with LabVIEW - NI

The Hardware Abstraction Layer section may be specifically helpful with what you're trying to do.

I don't know if anyone has licensed trainings for you but there is a LabVIEW oop in their training catalog if you have a good way to pay for it.

There is also a guy on YouTube named Thomas I think that does some really good LabVIEW OOP videos.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(998 Views)

Tom on youtube is here: https://www.youtube.com/c/TomsLabVIEWAdventure

If you show the code you have, we could give you more guidance.

There's lots on google if you search for "labview oop" or "labview object oriented programming"

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 6 of 6
(935 Views)