LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVDiff with VIs in library

Can you try running lvdiff.exe from the command line?

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\meta-diff suite\LVDiff (substitute the specific location here)

lvdiff.exe C:\Path\To\file1.txt C:\Path\To\file2.txt

... and see if the .ini gets created?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,112 Views)

I tried to put all the folder in a safe place, then execute lvdiff.exe.

The problem persists, the ini file is not created at all...

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,111 Views)

You were right.

I did a lot different tests, and the problem is clearly the protection of the Program Files directory.

The ini file is not created, so lvdiff cannot run.

I was wrong when I said that the ini would be created by lvdiff.exe, I thought it was a LabVIEW executable, but it's not, it's an executable which create the ini file with its arguments (paths to file1 and file2), then launch lvdiff.vi directly by LabVIEW API.

lvdiff.vi read the ini file and then launch "CMP compare two VIs.vi" in procmphier.llb.

So, the question is, how to solve this (simple?) problem of protection on my C:program files folder ?

I could move the meta-diff folder anywhere, but I am sure that I will have this problem in an other situation in the future.

Assume that I create an installer for a LabVIEW executable which extract files into program files, will the problem of protection be the same ?

Thanks,

Callahan

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,103 Views)

An other detail : make the lvdiff.exe execution "as an administrator" does'nt solve the problem.

I get a "the requested operation requires elevation" error.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,100 Views)

Hi, Callahan.

The permanent solution is for me to fix LVDiff so that it stores the .ini in one of the correct places for user settings, as I should have done long ago.  It's going to be several weeks before I can get to that, chiefly because I do not have a machine with LabVIEW on it at the moment.

--Ian

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,095 Views)

Right, but are you the developper of lvdiff or do you that for your own?

I don't know if lvdiff is NI supported, I don't think so, but I know it's a part of the meta-diff project.

http://meta-diff.sourceforge.net/

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,091 Views)

LVDiff and meta-diff aren't NI-supported; they're community projects of which I'm the slacker/maintainer.  Unfortunately, they're kind of frozen in time, as I'm still on LabVIEW 8.0 (when I even have it on a machine).  It will take quite a bit of time to reinstall LabVIEW, plus all of the compilers and installers needed to build the entire meta-diff suite (parts of which came from elsewhere and were written in Delphi of all things).  I'm happy to accept help, but I also know that people are busy this time of year.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,083 Views)