LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keysight N6702 VIs - TCP

Solved!
Go to solution

So I've used the available VIs to communicate with the Keysight Power Supply for sometime now, but it has always been through GPIB.  My latest task is to do it via Ethernet.  On National Instruments website where you can download the (let's call it a) Driver, it says you can use it for Ethernet.  However, each VI is using VISA.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Do I need to make a whole new set of VIs that are using the TCP VIs or is there a virtual COM port piece of software that's available from Keysight?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,968 Views)

Typically, if you go into NI-MAX and 'Create New VISA TCP/IP Resource' by right clicking on the 'devices and Interfaces --> Network Devices' tree, the instrument will then show up as a valid VISA instrument.

Message 2 of 6
(2,956 Views)

Key site has LabVIEW software for a lot of their power supplies. They need some work but should get you started. Here is an example:

https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=1629756&nid=-11143.0.00&id=1629756

You could look up your power supply and see if they have something available.

Tim
GHSP
Message 3 of 6
(2,948 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DailyDose

@TobyD wrote:

Typically, if you go into NI-MAX and 'Create New VISA TCP/IP Resource' by right clicking on the 'devices and Interfaces --> Network Devices' tree, the instrument will then show up as a valid VISA instrument.

It has been a very long time since I used VISA for TCP connections but it is quite easy to generate the resource name dynamically. The format for a TCP INSTR is "TCPIP[board]::host address[::LAN Device name][::INSTR]" and "TCPIP[board]::host address::port::SOCKET" for a TCP socket connection.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 4 of 6
(2,947 Views)

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

@TobyD wrote:

It has been a very long time since I used VISA for TCP connections but it is quite easy to generate the resource name dynamically. The format for a TCP INSTR is "TCPIP[board]::host address[::LAN Device name][::INSTR]" and "TCPIP[board]::host address::port::SOCKET" for a TCP socket connection.

This method sounds necessary if I wish to deploy my code onto different and multiple Test Machines with little NI Max configuring.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,933 Views)

Up and running.  Thank you all!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,910 Views)