LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keysight DAQ973A and measuring capacitance

I am working on a new test fixture design that uses the DAQ973A and I am trying to read a capacitor using LabVIEW. I have downloaded the Keysight LabVIEW drivers and libraries. I am able to measure resistance and voltages without any issues but unable to read capacitance. This is the first time I have used the DAQ973A. Has anyone written any LabVIEW code for this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,343 Views)

Well I have written lots of LabVIEW for the HP/Agilent/Keysight 3497xA that was the predecessor of the DAQ97xA series.

Out new test systems use the DAQ973, I downloaded the new DAQ97xA LabVIEW driver set and was disappointed to find they are now IVI drivers.

I have never had good luck with any IVI drivers, these included, and in the end I just used the SCPI commands and made my own drivers for the functions that I need.

I am sorry if this was not any help but it's all I got.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,340 Views)

I was also disappointed by the IVI but I think I just needed an extra driver and it worked.  Also wish the modules were backwards compatible since swapping all of them is a huge extra expense and hassle if you are upgrading multi-channel applications.

To your problem, which module are you using?  Only a few of them handle capacitance.

NIquist_1-1672262806122.png

Found the manual at Valuetronics:  DAQ970A/DAQ973A Data Acquisition System (valuetronics.com)

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,322 Views)

In my configuration I have (2) of the DAQM903A's and (1) DAQM908A. From what I have read this should work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,319 Views)

Yes, your DAQM908 should be able to read capacitance.  Is that what your cap is connected to?  It's a simple, single-ended connection so just put a cap across channel one and try to read it.

I HIGHLY recommend that you make sure you can set up the instrument manually and get the capacitance displaying on the DMM before you try controlling it through LabVIEW/GPIB.

I've wasted plenty of time in my career looking for software bugs only to find I connected something wrong and there was no signal to measure. 😫

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,266 Views)

That's a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,264 Views)

I have it working. I am measuring the capacitance using LabVIEW. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,250 Views)