cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keithley 7512/7510 timeout Issues

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I am trying to use the example code provided in the LV drivers for Keithley DMM. I connected to the DMM with USB and MAX identifies it. But it seems to have a timeout error when I try running the example code Keithley DMM7510 Acquire Signal.vi. 

The error seems to come from the IDN query however the IDN response from the DMM matches the string expression + SN and version. VISA Read happens when Query is turned off, occurs when the computer tries sending a *RST command to the DMM. 

Attached is the LV drivers for the Keithley DMM that I am using, below is a picture of the error out and MAX config

EricLoop_0-1673960028432.png

EricLoop_1-1673960134094.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,502 Views)

Have you tried testing the commands with the VISA Test Panel in NI MAX.

*IDN?\n and *RST\n commands.
Do you get the same outcome?

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,484 Views)

Yes, *IDN?\n query -

1: Write Operation (*IDN?\n)

Return Count: 6 bytes

2: Read Operation
Return Count: 52 bytes
KEITHLEY\sINSTRUMENTS,MODEL\sDMM7512,XXXXXXXX,1.7.12b\n

and *RST\n write comes back no errors-

1: Write Operation (*RST\n)

Return Count: 5 bytes

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,470 Views)

On my side runs ok, I'm using VISA 20.0
I was able to reproduce the error when selecting another port other than the one at the instrument

Ill take a look if I can find something else

CLA, CTA
Message 4 of 7
(1,448 Views)

That is odd. If it matters I am using a 7512, however that is just 2 separate 7510's. I tried using Ethernet connection instead of USB and produced the same error. When accessing through the Virtual Front panel via entering the ip in edge I can access the dmm just fine, however I do need to type in a login and password. Could this be the issue? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,438 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EricLoop

I continued digging and found the solution. I connected via ethernet and accessed the virtual manual panel for the 7512. I went into the configuration setting and changed the command style from TSP to SCPI and now it works. Looks like it saves that setting on power off as well. 

Message 6 of 7
(1,418 Views)

Is good to hear that, glad you found it! 

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,404 Views)