LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keithley 2600 - remote pulse sweep scripts

Hi All.

Do anybody has any experience with remote pulse sweep scripts for Keithey 2602 instrument?  I'm notable to run any pulse sript remotely. Even the example vi's that are the part of instrumen driver ver. 1.4.1, 2.0.0 (for example "KE26XX Factory Pulse Script Usage.vi") are not functional. The instrument returns the error code -286 (TSP Runtime error) on the instruction "ConfigPulseVMeasureI()" and the sweep is not generated.

Thank you for your help.

Ivan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(13,440 Views)

Hi Ivan,

I'm not familiar with the Keithley 2600Is this a GPIB instrumentIs there any more information associated with the error you are seeing?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(13,414 Views)

Hi Michael,

Keithley 2602 is a SourceMeter with GPIB interface. There is no communiacation issue - I'm able to set and measure the voltages and currents remotely and the device is responding to any request. The only problem is that  I'm not able to generate any pulse mode sweep using the remote commands via the GPIB interface from Labview 2009.

I have downloaded your "26XX SourceMeter Instrument Driver" ver. 1.4.1, Driver Revision 2.1.3. and I tried to run the available examples. But I'm not able to run any example that is using the Factory Pulse script or sweep (for example "KE26XX Factory Pulse Script Usage.vi" and "KE26XX Factory Pulse Usage.vi"). The only working VI is "KE26XX Config Source & Measure.vi". Any time I try to run the factory pulse script remotely via the GPIB, the instrument generates the error code -286 (TSP Runtime error - Attempt to call global ConfigVpulseMeasureI(a nil value)) on the instruction "ConfigPulseVMeasureI()" and the sweep is not generated.

I'm trying to contact Keithley to get some support.

Thank you,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(13,408 Views)

Hi Ivan and Michael,

I have exactly the same problem as Ivan described and I haven't found a solution yet.  I also downloaded Test Script Builder software from Keithley homepage and thought maybe if I try to run factory scripts using  Test Script Builder interface then it will work, but no luck so far and I still get the same error -286.  I can't understand.  Are we the only ones with Ivan who can't figure this out or what?  I tried to find some solution from the net, but there seems to be no more information about error code -286, besides Ivan's message here.  So if anyone has some idea what could be the problem, please help.  If I find a solution I will write a message here.  Ivan, please do so also.

Regards,

Boga

NSC Application Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(13,342 Views)

While I cannot help you directly, this may be of some help:  Several years ago I worked on a system using the 2400.  (I am writing from memory  and do not have ready access to the code, so some details may be fuzzy or wrong).  I found that the drivers available did not properly configure the instrument for simultaneous source sweep and measurement.  I am not sure that the instrument could even do that (measure both voltage and current while sweeping).  I ended up writing my own drivers using the commands from the manual.  There were several places where the configuration in the published drivers conflicted with the options I needed to set up.

If I recall correctly, I may have given up on using the internal sweep and just calculated and wrote new output setpoints at the appropriate times.  Our system timing requirements were slow enough that we could get away with that.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(13,331 Views)

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for the response.  I also use Keithley 2400 and 2420 SourceMeters very often, almost every day.  I already tried to do measurements using 24xx series, but the speed wasn't fast enough.  This time I need to create fast current pulses to measure MOS Rds(on).  The current pulse must be so short that the chip (where the transistor is integrated) doesn't heat over 1-2°C.  

I have also made some progress.  I got the factory Pulse Test working using Test Script Builder.  It's really easy, I just have to write: PulseVMeasureI(smua, 0, 5, 0.04, 0.04, 10), where PulseVMeasureI(smu, bias, level, ton, toff, points).  When using just VISA write in LabVIEW, it works also.  But know I have a new problem.  For some reason I get error code 1102 (Parameter Too Small), when ton and/or toff is less or equal to 20ms.  But user manual says that minimum for 5V output is 300us.  So the device should be capable of creating much shorter pulses.  I also wrote about this issue, and about the LabVIEW drivers issue to Keithley support.  Hopefully they will respond soon.

Regards,

Boga

NSC Application Engineer 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(13,323 Views)

SOLUTIONS

Hello Ivan,

You have to upgrade 2602 firmware to version 1.4.2 (or 1.3.4 they have some differences, which to choose you can read from: http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=52071 ).  So I upgraded my Keithley 2602 to version 1.4.2 (from 1.1.3).  The labVIEW drivers are now working. Excellent!  

About upgrading your device you can read from Reference Manual Section 13 page 35 (13-35).  First you have to download and install TSB (Test Script Builder Software) after that everything is easy.  GPIB *IDN? gives you the current firmware version.  For example: Keithley Instruments Inc., Model 2602, 1155977, 1.1.3  - these last three numbers show current firmware version.

About Error Code 1102 - Parameter Too Small.  I got this error because the device was set to 1NPLC, which means that the device can pulse minimum 20ms, as 1 power line cycle at 50Hz is 20ms.  After setting NPLC to 0.01 (0.01 x 20ms = 0.2ms) I got the script working.

As far as I can understand the device gives error code -286 whenever it can't understand a script line.  It means something is incorrect. 

This script works correctly: 

smua.measure.nplc = 0.001
PulseVMeasureI(smua, 0, 1, 1E-3, 5E-4, 12)

Now if I write something to the second line that the device can't understand it will give the error -286. 

This gives error -286:

smua.measure.nplc = 0.001
script.PulseVMeasureI(smua, 0, 1, 1E-3, 5E-4, 12) .  I added "script." infront of the second line.

So, these are the solutions for the issues.

I want to thank Keithley (to be exact, Orbis in my region) for the quick, friendly and helpful support!!!  

Best Regards,

Jüri 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(13,257 Views)

Hi Juri,

Thank you for your help.

I've just updated the firmware (from version 1.0.4) to the latest version 1.4.2 and the problem disappeared - the pulse measurement is functional. So I think the problem is solved now.

Thank you and best regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(13,235 Views)

You're welcome and Good Luck! 🙂

Jüri aka Boga

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(13,232 Views)
hi, can anyone kindly tell me how to write the current,voltage data into a particular file, say a xls or txt file after the pulse measurement? thanks.
Message Edited by sund0002 on 05-24-2010 09:35 AM
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(12,984 Views)