LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to run LabVIEW 7.1 and 8.5 under the same Windows installation?

We have an older version of LabVIEW (7.1) which includes functionality for Event Notifications and the base version of LV8.3, which does not seem to contain this functionality. 

Is it possible to run both of these from the same Windows Installation?  If not I plan to create a new partition and a new Windows installation just to accomodate the two of them.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,508 Views)

Sure, you can run LV 7.1 and 8.5 on the same computer without having to create a separate windows installation. There are some known issues with the corruption of the run time engine when you do this, but they are all fixable. Of course events will still not work in 8.5 since you only have the base edition.

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,491 Views)

Amit Jayakaran wrote:

Of course events will still not work in 8.5 since you only have the base edition.

Are you sure about this? My understanding was that if you tried to run code that had event structures with the Base edition the code would still work, but you wouldn't be able to modify the event structure, or create new event structures.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,476 Views)

I think you are right about that. However, I don't think you can make any changes to the event structures and you can't save from 8.5 to any version before 8.0.

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,470 Views)
Something else to consider is windows compatibility. If you are running LabVIEW on Vista, I would highly discourage installation of Lv 7.1 and 8.5 on the same machine (even if they were different partitions), since there are some significant issues in terms harware compatibility.I am running windows 7.1 and 8.2.1 on a test station with no problems, but the OS is Win XP. My biggest gripe about the dual software system is when a v 7.1 files is opened up by 8.2.1. There is not a system to prevent it from happening, and once we accidentally save a 7.1 app in 8.2,1, going back to 7.1 is a big headache.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,465 Views)

FightOnSCTrojan wrote:
Something else to consider is windows compatibility. If you are running LabVIEW on Vista, I would highly discourage installation of Lv 7.1 and 8.5 on the same machine...

Well, LabVIEW 7.1 is not "officially" compatible with Vista anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,433 Views)

I agree there! LV 7.1 and Vista may not be a very good combination. Just remember even the latest driver CDs have support for 7.1.1 but not 8.0!!!

Amit

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,429 Views)