LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to directly read a barcode into Labview?

Solved!
Go to solution
I  have a barcode reader that reads codes into Notepad as expected, but I'm having no luck reading a code into Labview 8.6. Is it possible to read a code directly into Labview using a bar code reader. The reader I'm using is a Symbol DS6708.   Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,330 Views)
This question gets asked a lot. If it's placing the information directly into Notepad that implies you are using a keyboard wedge. Then it should be no different for LabVIEW. Are you focused on a control?
Message 2 of 14
(5,326 Views)
Usually, all you need is a string control. Most scanners act just like a keyboard. How have you tried to read it?
Message 3 of 14
(5,323 Views)
Another thing to watch out for is how your barcode reader is set up.  If you have one that hits 'return' after scanning, it will enter a new line in the string control, potentially making it look like nothing was entered.  Most barcode readers have some way of letting you pick (through configuration barcodes) what character(s) are pressed before and after it sends the data string.
Message 4 of 14
(5,319 Views)

You were right, my data is being entered into my string control along with a line feed so that I thought that it wasn't working. Is there anyway to suppress the line feed?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,311 Views)
You *could* trim the whitespace, but the proper thing to do would be to re-configure your barcode reader.  If you don't have the manual and programming documents, you should be able to download and print the programming barcodes from the manufacturers website.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,307 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chuck72352
Thanks for the help! Problem solved!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,290 Views)
Glad to hear it was something simple. However, ou should mark the correct response as the solution, rather than your "thank you" note.
Message 8 of 14
(5,280 Views)
It would be nice if you marked as the solution, the actual solution and not your thank you. You can change what you marked as the solution by clicking the 'Options' link above the message.
Message 9 of 14
(5,277 Views)

A bit off topic, and I believe it's been discussed int he Feedback board before.

But this marking of the wrong post seems to happen very often.  Why do the users  have a tendency to mark their thank you message as the solution rather than the actual helpful message?  Is it a difficult concept?  Something about the wording of solution or the layout of the messages that leads them to it?

I would go so far as to suggest that users are unable to mark their own messages as the solution.  While it can be perfectly legitimate and there are instances where people solve their own problem, it seems to happen very rarely compared to how often people are wrongly marking their own message.

Message 10 of 14
(5,264 Views)