From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9401 buffered digital output sample clock source

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi, I wish to generate a pulse train with a defined number of pulses, at defined frequency. I am using a NI9401 module in slot 3 of a CompactDAQ chassis so that I can write the required pulse train to the 2047 sample buffer. The problem I have is I am unable to select any clock source slower than the 100kHz timebase, and this means the buffer can underflow very easily. I would like to use a clock source of 4kHz, but cannot find how to do it. If I want to generate a clock source from one of the counters, then I must have the 9401 in slots 6 or 7 which then do not allow buffered digital waveform generation..
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,446 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JPP

Hi JPP,

You can internally access the counters even though the modules are connected in slot 1-4 of the cDAQ chassis. Note that slot 6 & 7 are only necessary if you need external access to the counters as in buffered counter tasks, frequency/period measurements, etc.... Since in your application, all you need is to generate a continuous pulse train and access its output internally to clock your correlated digital output, this should not pose any problems with your DIO module in slot 4. Please have a look at the following link for more information.

Using Internal Counters on a NI cDAQ-9172 as a Sample Clock for Other Tasks

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EEB574335BA0B4EB862572060055E9DD?OpenDocument 

I would also like to refer you to an example on our site which shows you how to use the counter to clock your correlated digital I/O. I hope this helps.

NI-DAQmx: Correlated Digital I/O with NI CompactDAQ and LabVIEW

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5256

S_Hong
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,423 Views)
Thanks for that. Exactly what was needed.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,399 Views)