From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add a device in simulated NI DAQmx device or modular Instrument?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I want to simulate PXIe 8115 module without hardware.Is it possible?If Yes Can I add the device in simulated NI DAQmx device or modular Instrument?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,010 Views)

As the PXIe-8115 is a controller, there is no way to simulate it (no DAQmx device).

This would be similar to "how can i simulate a DELL Latitude E6500 Laptop?"......

What is the reason for this question?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,004 Views)

I want to communicate PXIe 8115 module through ethernet protocol.PXIe 8115 is inside a PXI 1062 Q chasis.So how it is possible?Using DAQmx or TCP/IP.I saw that DAQmx is the common one in communicating PXI cards.But can i use DAQmx in Ethernet communication ??  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,990 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author $agar

Hm, these are several very basic questions.....

The controller (8115) is a "complete" computer excluding a housing, power supply and external cooling. The later three components are the chassis, in your case the PXIe-1062Q.

The controller can be run by a Windows based OS (e.g. Windows 7) or Real Time ("RT"). So what do you have installed on the 8115?

In either case, communication with that controller by an external, additional PC or laptop is best done by Ethernet. You can use different protocols on Ethernet like a customized TCP/IP based protocol or by using NI Shared Variables.

NI DAQmx is a hardware device driver. The purpose of this is to use a National Instrument based measurement device in a computer. If you want to use an NI device in your PXIe system, it is very likely that you require to have DAQmx installed on the 8115 controller. DAQmx is available for Windows as well as for RT.

DAQmx in this use-case does normally not provide you a direct access to the devices in the PXIe chassis over Ethernet by *any* external computer. You have to write an application which will be run on the 8115 controller to interface (or "relay) the data to your external computer.

hope this clears things up,

Norbert

PS: You should ask your local NI branch to send someone to you.... i think a direct discussion with an NI employee should be beneficial for you. Normally, a sales representative is sufficient as NI sales reps are quite technical.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 4 of 5
(2,982 Views)

Thak you very much Nobert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,946 Views)