cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LabVIEW compatible with my hardware?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm using an arduino uno coupled with an EEG click to build an EEG Vi. However, The analog read on the labview side is consistently giving me zero volts. I'm confirming with Arduino IDE that the hardware is working and producing voltage data. What is my issue here? Is it possible the EEG click analog channel has issues with LabVIEW? Thanks

heres the EEG click link:

https://www.mikroe.com/eeg-click

and the breakout board:

https://www.mikroe.com/arduino-uno-click-shield

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,778 Views)

Update: I'm getting an analog signal in my VI finally. But I ended up using the Hobbyist package and firmware wizard instead of the Arduino module in LabVIEW. I still don't know why the Arduino programming features were not working.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,751 Views)

In general there are three ways of using LabVIEW with an Arduino

1. Program the Arduino in the native Arduino language and use LabVIEW to access the Arduino using VISA just like any other instrument on a serial port.
    1. INMHO this is the best way as you have full control over the communications protocol and access to all of the of Arduino libraries that are already out there.
  2. Use LINX
    1. Full LabVIEW integration, but limited amount of libraries and peripherals directly supported
    2. The Arduino basically becomes a tethered DAC device that need the computer to work but you can solve that "tethering" with Bluetooth serial
  3. TSXperts Arduino compiler for LabVIEW
    1. Actually turns LabVIEW into compiled Arduino code. (A real feat on its own)
      1. Limited subset of LabVIEW vi's and primitives
      2. Since it's an Arduino it sorta makes you write poor LabVIEW code
      3. Development seems to have stopped, so those annoying bugs are here to stay
========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 10
(1,705 Views)

@od805 wrote:

I still don't know why the Arduino programming features were not working.

Without seeing your code we can't really tell you why either

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,698 Views)

IIRC, LINX isn't supported for 64 bit :LabVIEW.

Not sure if that applies to the Arduino part of LINX though.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,683 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

IIRC, LINX isn't supported for 64 bit :LabVIEW.

Not sure if that applies to the Arduino part of LINX though.

Right, 64bit LabVIEW is not supported by most of the available tool kits. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,669 Views)

Hi all,

Here's my current code. I have another post where someone is telling me to create an array of 1000 samples before I bandpass the data. I don't understand why this method of bandpassing the analog signal as it comes in is wrong. Any ideas? 

Also, I'm trying to create an EEG spectrum. I'm bandpassing the bandpassed signals as I thought this is what signal decomposition meant in terms of EEG. According to my other post, this is not a sound method in signal processing. I'm trying to implement a 60hz notch filter but I can't seem to figure that out either. Thanks

CaptureEEGnew1.JPG

CaptureEEGnew.JPG

  

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,619 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author od805

It's very hard to troubleshoot pictures of messy code. When we ask to see your code we mean to upload your actual VI preferably with some data so we can clean it up and test it.

But, it looks like you are taking one sample at a time and and using Build Array  to make it an array. Your charts make it look like you are building a waveform but that's not really happening. All that is really happening is you are just filtering one sample at a time and building a chart with the results one point at a time. Put an array indicator (Not a chart) along side of the Raw EEG on your array and you will see what I mean. (Your array only has one element)

Get rid of the Build Array and put a For Loop around the Analog Read 1 Channel vi and take a few hundred or a thousand samples using the default exit terminal mode (Concatenating). That will build an array containing the number of samples your loop is set to. Then feed that array through the filters and see if you get any better results.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,585 Views)

I keep getting an error code when attempting this that says "You have connected two arrays that mismatch." Any ideas? Actual VI attached plus picture below.

od805_0-1644973744078.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,546 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author od805

@od805 wrote:

I keep getting an error code when attempting this that says "You have connected two arrays that mismatch." Any ideas? Actual VI attached plus picture below.

od805_0-1644973744078.png

For the left broken wire, change the tunnel to indexing (can't concatenate a scalar).

For the right broken wire, simply delete it. Why would the close need the values array?

Probably a good idea to (re)do some free online courses (mentioned here).

Message 10 of 10
(1,520 Views)