LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It smarter to dynamcially call Sub VIs or Reformat Code so that 1 Shift Register Controls SSM

@vanceblake wrote:

Is it possible to retain the default state I currently have and have buttons that allows me to change from the default state to a waiting for calibration state, and then just transition from waiting to calibration and then from calibration finally back to the default state? With the last two transitions happening automatically?

Anything is possible. You just have to program the logic for your state transition. You could also do it like you're doing now while retaining the current default by having a 2nd shift register that is "Next State" which is called when the appropriate criteria are met. "Next State" would be changed when you transition from the default to a calibration state.

Message 11 of 16
(351 Views)

Hi johntrich1971,

Thanks again for your help. I went with the second option as you can see in the attached code. My goal was to make the code more semi autonomous to compensate for errors in sensor response. However, my new issue is that I went from a fully automatic to a stick shift because of the event structure I pulled from this example here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Connecting-boolean-array-to-case-structure/m-p/237065?profile.langu...

I think I might have to run a sepearate loop, but I was hoping for something that worked more like this example here: 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Boolean-Array-Case-Selector-in-LabVIEW/ta-p/3532591

where there is no event structure. But when I labeled the button names and the corresponding cases it did not work, and I was hoping to figure out why.

Regards,

Vance

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(335 Views)

Hi Riley thanks for your response.

My goal was to make the code more semi autonomous to compensate for errors in sensor response. However, with what I did in pulling the event structure from the Find True example below I went from a fully automatic to a stick shift that needs a user input to run a loop.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Connecting-boolean-array-to-case-structure/m-p/237065?profile.langu...

I was hoping for something that worked more like this example here: 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Boolean-Array-Case-Selector-in-LabVIEW/ta-p/3532591

where there is no event structure. But when I labeled the button names and the corresponding cases it did not work, and I was hoping to figure out why.

Regards,

Vance

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(353 Views)

You still seem to be trying to complicate things. This can be done in a simple way as discussed in this thread (by the way, when you're still working on the same problem it's best to keep everything in the same thread). Are you wanting this to now not be fully automated? A simple state machine will work for your application. While I would have more states than I suggested in that thread (I don't like to put while loops inside while loops as it makes my program non-responsive) it would at least get you up and running. Have you tried the 6 states that I suggested here?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(334 Views)

Hi johntrich1971,

The reason I cannot use the six states you mentioned is that the sensors do not exist either waiting for calibration or calibration states. So I need a default state that is just taking samples and temperature right now. In the future that default state will also be accessing other sensor data not related to calibratio, but for now what I have is enough.

And apologize for overcomplicating things, but I am trying to deliver a level of functionality and control that can be tailored for future projects and uses. I see an idea that works and I want to implement it, however I recognize that I am not picking the most efficient method.

I guess my real question is why do named boolean buttons not control the smaller SSM like a standard enum control would?

Regards,

Vance

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(305 Views)
@vanceblake wrote:

The reason I cannot use the six states you mentioned is that the sensors do not exist either waiting for calibration or calibration states. So I need a default state that is just taking samples and temperature right now. In the future that default state will also be accessing other sensor data not related to calibratio, but for now what I have is enough.

You're already using those 6 states. I think, though, that you are trying to build a producer/consumer in one loop. Study up on a producer/consumer and see if that isn't a better architecture for what you're trying to do. This architecture will allow you to have a loop that is constantly acquiring data and sending it to the other loop for processing. The consumer loop can then be a state machine if desired. 

@vanceblake wrote:

Hi johntrich1971,

And apologize for overcomplicating things, but I am trying to deliver a level of functionality and control that can be tailored for future projects and uses. I see an idea that works and I want to implement it, however I recognize that I am not picking the most efficient method.

By overcomplicating things you are actually making it less useful for future projects in my experience. 

@vanceblake wrote:

I guess my real question is why do named boolean buttons not control the smaller SSM like a standard enum control would?

I don't understand what you're talking about here. Booleans and enums are two entirely different data types. You can use an array of booleans and convert it to the number to make the selections in your case structure like you're doing in your code, but wouldn't it be better to just have an output for each button in your event structure in this case?

Also, in looking at your last bit of code it gets stuck in your default case only making one acquisition until you press a button. Put a timeout in your event case and let the output be your default case. The event structure won't continue until an event has occurred.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(291 Views)