From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverse Matrix algorithm

Does anyone know what algorithm is used for the "Positive Definite" option of the Inverse Matrix VI? I'm trying to reimplement some LabVIEW code in C (no, this comment is not intended to start a flame war, or to incite responses of "why don't you just use G with such and such?" I have my reasons. They are good. Drop it.) and I'm getting results that are similar, but not identical. All I've managed to find so far in the wide world of web is one sentence suggesting that Cholesky decomposition is used, but is that so? Or is it LDL^T? Or something else?

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,103 Views)

Hello Jason_S,

If you double click subVI, you can view its block diagram. If you do this for Inverse Matrix.vi, then select the "Positive Definite" case in the case structure, you will see that it calls a subVI called Real Inverse Matrix (Cholesky).vi. This would suggest that the Cholesky Decomposition algorithm is the one that is used. However, since Real Inverse Matrix (Cholesky).vi calls a library function, you cannot determine the exact algorithm that is used. 

Wan L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,070 Views)