cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing with Mettler Toledo IND560

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get a scale (Mettler Toledo IND560) to work with a VI I've already created. It's connected through a 9-pin serial connection which is run through a serial-to-USB conversion.

This is giving me a bit of trouble, and all I've found through searching is a driver to make the scale work with an OLC server. I don't personally have access to one and was wondering if there's a simple step that I'm just missing.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,387 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matub

I think you may need to be more specific.  Exactly how far have you gotten?  And exactly where are you stuck?

The first thing you will need is the user manual for the device.  Read-up on their suggestions for communicating with the device.  They should specify connection settings (eg baud rate, etc).  And they might describe a specific high-level protocol you need to follow to get the data.

And then to get started with LabVIEW and serial communication, you will need to make sure you have NI-VISA installed.  Then use LabVIEW's built-in Example Finder.  Have a look at this VI to get going:

Hardware Input and Output > Serial > Basic Serial Write and Read

http://www.medicollector.com
Message 2 of 6
(5,374 Views)

I did basically what you said and it worked quite well.

I can get the data to output as a string, but is there a way to turn the string into an integer?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,362 Views)

Nevermind, figured that part out too. I just used Scan From String.

Thank you for your help. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,358 Views)

Hello,

I am not familiar with the NI applications but would like to provide whatever assistance is possible from the Mettler Toledo side to help you.  If you can provide your contact info to me I will ask someone from within our technical support team to contact you.

thanks,

Felix Klebe

felix.klebe@mt.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,344 Views)

Hi Felix,

Although your offer of help is from 2012, I am looking to interface to a Mettler Toledo IND560 using RS485 serial communication.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, David

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,438 Views)