LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer changed from 8.5 to 2010 - Do not understand Installer Destinations

Solved!
Go to solution

In version 8.5, the installer destination was where you wanted the Installer files to go.  Usually this would be some common directory on a file server.

I am looking at the Installer Properties destination page in LabView 2010 and I am no longer even given a choice of drives.  It looks like it now describes where the installer package is supposed to put files when it runs.

So, how do I tell it where I want the actual Installer files package to go before I run it?

A link to a good step-by-step example would be favorite.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,881 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wildcatherder
I am posting via phone, so I cannot give exact instructions, bu you should find what you want on the first page of the installer.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,873 Views)

I have looked at the Installers Windows section of the tutorial

Distributing Applications with the LabVIEW Application Builder

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3303

but even the section on Source Files seems to indicate I will be putting the installer under [Program Files].  Since these are certainly never intended to be permanent files, why would I want these Installer files cluttering up my [Program Files]?  There is also nothing to indicate what drive this directory structure is describing or how to change to another drive.  See attached JPG.

Note that I am building an installer for use with WinXP (still a popular OS).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,872 Views)

wildcatherder,

These two links should give you information about the different options you have for where your installer will be installed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,837 Views)

I have already submitted feedback on the help page for the Destinations page.  It makes the confusing statement that the Destination Page is used "to configure the destination directory structure of the installer."  This is what it did in 8.5 but in 2010 it describes the destination directory structure of the INSTALLED FILES, which is not the same as the installer itself.

The only place to set the destination of the installer package is on the Product Information category sheet under Installer destination.

Thanks to those who responded.

Message 5 of 7
(2,826 Views)

wildcatherder,

Thanks for submitting that feedback, we appreciate it greatly and it does get reviewed by our R&D department. I would also suggest filing a product suggestion on that at our Product Suggestion Center. Thanks Again!

Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,790 Views)

LabVIEW 2011 update - the only place to set the destination for the Installer files is under the Product Information category - Installer Destination.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,449 Views)