From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installer Error: Cannot Upgrade NI-488.2

Hi all,

I recently created an installer for one of my LabVIEW programs, and when I ran the installer on another computer I recieved this error:

"Installation Cannot Proceed: Cannot upgrade NI-488.2 : This installer cannot upgrade the installed feature set of NI-488.2 prior to 14.0. Uninstall NI-488.2 then run this installer again. This process will remove NI-488.2 Configuration support and Application Development support (if present)." 

Can someone help elaborate on this error, and is there is there a way to not force an uninstall for someone who may have the driver(s) previously installed?

I'm new to building applications so I appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,438 Views)

Is there a reason you are including the NI-488.2 installer if it is already installed on the target computers? I am not aware of any way to opt out of installing a driver included in the LabVIEW installer. I would think that you'd have to let users know that they need to install it (from the web or from a network location) if they do not already have it.

Steven Gloor
Staff Customer Engineer - CTA, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,394 Views)

I'm including it because I won't know which customers will have it and which ones will not, so I assumed it would be safer including it in the installer.

However, since I'm new to LabVIEW installers I wasn't aware that this could present a problem for users who already have the driver installed. Would you then suggest leaving it out and letting the cusomers know elsewhere that they need to install it (as a consequence of not being able to opt out of the driver) vs forcing them to unistall to properly run the installer?

Thanks

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,387 Views)

That would be my suggestion. You could also make multiple installers, with and without the driver included.

Steven Gloor
Staff Customer Engineer - CTA, CLD
Message 4 of 4
(3,359 Views)