LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Error

Solved!
Go to solution

I am facing installation error while installing LabVIEW on Windows 10 pc.

The error message reads: "The path is not of a legal form".

Any possible solutions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,253 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SN95

It is difficult to give advice, as we don't know what you did, don't know much about the PC, don't know what version of LabVIEW was already on the machine, don't know what you were trying to install (specifically), don't know how much experience you have in installing LabVIEW.

I have been using and installing LabVIEW for more than a dozen years.  In recent years, it has gotten more difficult to do, with more errors during installation, most of which have non-helpful error messages.  In addition, the "good thing" is that there is now a Community Edition for anyone to (try to) install, but that generally means that this complex software package, being offered with all its "bells and whistles", is going out to users who may know nothing about LabVIEW, and might be tempted to "install everything".  

I don't know where this error occurred during your installation.  What I would do if you came to me with your computer would be the following:

• Remove all National Instruments Software from your PC.  This must be done without "forcing" (meaning no messing with the Registry), as this will probably require a complete reinstallation of Windows and everything else on your PC.
  • Try again to install LabVIEW.  Install 32-bit LabVIEW, with nothing else, not even Device Drivers or "Additional Features".  If this succeeds, reboot, install the minimum Device Drivers that you might need (I recommend DAQmx and NI VISA, only), and selected "Additional Features".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,180 Views)

Thank you, for taking time out to give such a detailed explanation!

Apparently, the error was caused due to some kind of deleted registry file (yes, I had messed around it a bit; when a previous installation attempt gave an error of a missing dll). Resetting my PC did the trick!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,102 Views)