cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Data to a large Data Set

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

It is my first Post here. I am buiding software for an autoprober and I have a large set of data (not really large actually about 640kB). There are lots of devices on the wafer so I want to minimize the time it takes to read/write data. I tried lots of different ways but it still takes me several hundred ms to perform data reading/writing, and it get slower and slower when the data set grows larger. I am using LabVIEW 8.5.1 and attached is my block diagram for testing a single die. I tried using Global variables, Local variables, Global functional variables, but I am not able to improve the performance. It is greatly appreciated if someone can help me on this problem. Thanks!

Best,

Yaqi

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,034 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yaqi

@Yaqi wrote:

Hi Everyone,

It is my first Post here. I am buiding software for an autoprober and I have a large set of data (not really large actually about 640kB). There are lots of devices on the wafer so I want to minimize the time it takes to read/write data. I tried lots of different ways but it still takes me several hundred ms to perform data reading/writing, and it get slower and slower when the data set grows larger. I am using LabVIEW 8.5.1 and attached is my block diagram for testing a single die. I tried using Global variables, Local variables, Global functional variables, but I am not able to improve the performance. It is greatly appreciated if someone can help me on this problem. Thanks!

Best,

Yaqi

No, It is your second post! and LabVIEW 8.5.1 did not have an In-Place-Element structure

Now go look at the Producer Consumer (events) template.  READ the examples, and undrestand the method "defer FP updates" 

Sorry if that sounded harsh

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,015 Views)

Yeah, it is actually my second post. I forgot I post once before. I just checked and LabVIEW version is 8.5.1. The FP of the child VI is hidden when the main VI is running. Could you let me know is the child VI FP is still updating if it is hidden? Thank you very much.

@Jeff Bohrer wrote:

@Yaqi wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Best,

Yaqi

No, It is your second post! and LabVIEW 8.5.1 did not have an In-Place-Element structure

Now go look at the Producer Consumer (events) template.  READ the examples, and undrestand the method "defer FP updates" 

Sorry if that sounded harsh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,005 Views)

By the way, I just checked NI documents and In Place Element structure starts from LabVIEW 8.5; The link is below

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6211

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,986 Views)

Well, Thnks for correcting me on exactly witch version of LabVIEW indtro'd the IPE- have you read the help yet----- you seam familliar with the process?

Glad you are- look at the examplesSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,941 Views)

Hi Yaqi,

Thanks for the question.  In addition to what Jeff Bohrer has mentioned, also take a look at this document on memory management of large data sets.

Lisa

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,920 Views)

To Jeff: I am not familar with this concept of reentrant subroutine and I am doing reaseach on it. I have some experience with LabVIEW but not much. The previous posts on the forum and the examples really helped me a lot. Smiley Happy

To List: I will look at the document on memory management of large data sets. I am not familar with it eitherSmiley Sad

Unfortuantely it takes me about 3 hours for each test ... I will post more updates after I get some. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,909 Views)

Jeff, you are right. I tested it out and found it is a front panel update problem. I am updating something on the front panal for debugging. I put two dozen tick-counts and I need to get rid of all of them now Smiley Sad Thank you again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,895 Views)