LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impulse voltage

Using NI-9263 and NI CDAQ I need to produce an impulse voltage (with labview).
And with that impulse voltage on a solenoid, can it's magnetic field produce an impulse force on a magnet?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,890 Views)

You don't say what you mean by a "voltage impulse".  From your description of what you want to do, you probably want a specialized circuit that takes a digital "trigger" signal (typically a voltage step from 0 to +5v) and creates the specialized current/voltage waveform to drive the (whatever, solenoid in your case, it seems).  You can, of course, also produce a step voltage with a Analog Out circuitry, but the timing requirements of the two are vastly different.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,870 Views)

To be specific, I need to induce a very small force to an object, so a magnet is attached to that object, and a magnetic field is induced using a coil (solenoid).
If I want the force to be instantaneous (impulse force), should I induce an instantaneous voltage in the coil? And if that works is a circuit with a trigger better than using labview?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,856 Views)

A voltage doesn't apply any force to a magnet (OK, depending on the setup you migth get an electrostatic force :D)

The current in the coil makes the magnetic field.  The usual  DAQ analog output is restricted to some one digit mA (see spec of your DAQ), Without an amplifier you need a lot of windings (as you do with your relay coil) but this results in a high inductivity that contradicts fast changes in current (aka magnetic field).

What is fast for you?  (BTW pulse duration or rise time of the force?)

10ms -1ms?  (possible at a first glance just using a relay coil and the DAQ AO)

10µs - 1ms?  maybe

<1µs? .. smaller coil, no iron/ferrite , more current -> amp or pulse circuit .. (my guess! )

Depending on: What is a small force?

Such a driver/pulse amp can be quite simple (a single transistor) ... but your requierements are still very vague....

EDIT: You want to use the 9263 , 100kSPS AO , +-10V 1mA .. 

so the shortest 1V pulse will be around 26µs ... .  and unless your forces are very small you need an external powersupply and an amplifier/buffer/pulse circuit anyway.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,844 Views)

Thank you.
As for the force needed, it is small, between µ𝑁 and 1 mN.
In that case is an amplifier or outside source still needed?
Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,827 Views)

Just give it a try 🙂

and if it doesn't work out: Any small audioamplifier (one of these old PC speakers with amp in the attic?) migth do the job. Replace the speaker with your coil. (migth extend the minimum pulse length to about 1/20kHz ~50µs)

and don't drive it with more than 1.5V ...   or use the sound output of you PC 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,822 Views)