From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing configuration data from a .sav file.

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm working with inherited code that calls in configuration data from a .sav file. I now need to open and edit the file to adjust the configuration to accommodate new hardware, but so far I've been unsuccessful in opening the file in a readable format. I've downloaded various 'SPSS' editors, but it appears the file may include some form of encryption. 

If anyone has any experience with these types of files, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm unable to upload the file here, but I'd be happy to email it to you if you think you can open it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 31
(2,943 Views)

.sav is not a specific format.  Just look at a bunch of video games (at least old computer games) and they all use a .sav file, each having their own format.  So you need to know the format of the file in order to do something with it.  Where did the sav file come from?  You might want to consider changing to an ini, xml, or json format instead for you configurations.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 31
(2,932 Views)

Unfortunately the guy who created it no longer works here, so I'm stuck trying to reverse engineer this. 

Any ideas on how Labview would interpret a .sav file? If Labview can read it, there must be some way I can too (through Labview?).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31
(2,914 Views)

This file could have any type of data in it. My first question would be if you open it in notepad can you read the file? If so then you might get lucky. If not all bets are off. There would really not be any way to know unless you have the code that it was written with.

I would suggest that you try to figure out what kinds of data this file contains. If you can figure that out you might be able to start getting the data format. Without knowing the structure you are going to have a real up hill battle to figure this out. Do you have the code that the code was developed from?

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 31
(2,906 Views)

@JayWW wrote:

Any ideas on how Labview would interpret a .sav file? If Labview can read it, there must be some way I can too (through Labview?).

We would have to see the code that reads the file.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31
(2,905 Views)

If you post the file you might get one of these kind people that like a challenge to help you figure this out. It is a real long shot though.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 31
(2,903 Views)

Here's the .sav file. I had to Zip the file in order for it to be successfully uploaded.

Here's a section of the code that pulls data from that file.

JayWW_0-1585581157519.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31
(2,899 Views)

Ok it looks like you have everything you need to decode this file. I am not sure I understand what your problem is? What is your question?

If you look at the picture that you attached. In the binary file open you have a cluster attached tot he format at the top of the vi. This tells LabVIEW how to read this file. That is all you need to decode this file.

Right in the section that you circled in red.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(2,893 Views)

I need to edit the file with new configuration data to accommodate for new hardware in the test station.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31
(2,889 Views)

Read the file in. Change the format and save it to the new format. Then when you open the file moving forward all you have to do is replace the binary format cluster. It is that easy.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31
(2,886 Views)