LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import wcf web service in Labview 2016?

I've heard that the import web service tool in earlier labview does not work for wcf (Windows Communication Foundation) web services. Is there any improvement or workaround for Labview 2016?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,778 Views)

Hi Ola_A,

I had a quick look in the release notes of 2016 and it doesn't look like it mentions changes to the web services import tool so I would assume it does not have any improved use with WCF web services. However I don't have a URL to try it on so cannot confirm this.

With regards to work arounds, people have found them, some of the following links should help you out.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-and-WCF-web-service-Why-so-difficult/td-p/1731812

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/WCF-web-services-with-LabVIEW/td-p/1605832

Cheers

Pete

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,702 Views)

Thanks PWoodward, I will try to import a wcf web service when I have one available and see what happens, but I don't give much hope that it will be easy!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,661 Views)

Ok, outcome of the Import web service tool in Labview 2015 & 2016. I add an address to a wsdl file, + username & password, and the import works. So I get three vi's Open web service, Close web service and one for a web service method that does some work. So far so good!

When I test run the three vi's in a simple test application the Open web service gives no error, but the payload method waits for some 30+ seconds and give the error 1172

Invoke Node System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Ett undantagsfel har inträffat i målet för en aktivering.
	Inner Exception: System.Net.WebException: Åtgärdens tidsgräns har överskridits <append><b>System.Net.WebException</b> in safebinding.lvlib:

Maybe this is due to the input data to the method, the import tool parses the wdsl file and creates a cluster with correct data types, apart from one which could be descibed as an array of a cluster. What I get is an array of a .NET class safebinding.<arrayname from wsdl>.

Is there an easy way for me to construct the input data to my method so I can test run the vi?

I have no clue to if I should try to put my real test data into the .NET class or construct a new cluster that describes the data, and somehow get the web service vi to accept that.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,608 Views)

So folk, sorry for reporting that the Import/ Web service... tool did not work for a simpler wcf web service either!

Same as before, the import is ok, give three VI's, Open Action and Close. Open runs fine, but Action gives timeout errorafter about a minute.

Error 1172
Invoke Node System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Ett undantagsfel har inträffat i målet för en aktivering.
	Inner Exception: System.Net.WebException: "The time limit is exceeded" ...

This was in Labview 2015.

So I guess there is no quick way to access wcf web services in Labview yet. Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,492 Views)