LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WCF web services with LabVIEW

I'm glad that you were able to find another way of accomplishing what you were trying to do.  That actually sounds like a pretty great solution to your problem, and I'd love to see how you implemented that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,582 Views)

Kyle,

The biggest issue with the built in LabVIEW method is that it doesn't work for WCF or I would have used it even though I'm not happy with using .NET to replace .NET.  I can give you the overview of what we did and then I can get you more details if it's useful to you.

On the LabVIEW end, we created a Daemon that receives TCP messages from  external code and puts them into local queues and a send block that formats a message into a format usable by C#.  The format we chose was ini file because, while size inefficient, it is tolerant to missing keys.

On the C# end, we did basically the same thing by creating a class which has a TCP receive thread which decodes the ini format and waits for TCP messages from LabVIEW.  When a message is received and event is raised which can be handled as needed.  Similar to the LabVIEW side, there is a send method that formats a class into a message that is sent to LabVIEW

On the LabVIEW side, we just send a cluster into our send block and on the C# side, we have a matching structure/class with matching elements.  This allows us to make the communication between the two transparent and we can focus on the LV and C# code instead of the communication protocol.

Leon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,551 Views)