cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Visio drawing into Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I do not like to use standard VIs to display and control. Instead I have created a picture or drawing of the Application

that is going to use Labview. It is a drawing of part of the Airplane that will have sensors and controls installed.

I would like to use this drawing which I have created in MS Visio as the VI. And then add displays and controls at

different locations in it. Is this possible? I can convert the drawing to any format desired like GIF, JPEG, etc.

Thanks

Bobby

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,752 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobby_y

You could use your drawing as the background of your front panel, just right click on the bottom of the fp, select properites, then point to your image.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,748 Views)

You cannot do that. Visio and LabVIEW are two totally different things. Visio is a drawing package. LabVIEW is a programming language. You can place pictures onto the front panel of VIs. Perhaps that's what you're trying to do?

If you had a lot of time on your hands you could design a complete translation package using VI scripting and ActiveX to reconstruct the Visio drawing into a VI.

The better approach is to find out exactly what it is that you don't like. Do you not like the controls/indicators? These can be modified. Do you not like the programming style? Are you more used to text-based programming?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,747 Views)

You can also read PNG and JPG images into LabVIEW and display them in a picture control.  The advantage of this is that the picture control has a fairly complete set of UI events you can use to control things (and even change your picture) by clicking, dragging, etc. on the picture.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,733 Views)

In Visio, click Edit - Select All, then Edit - Copy.  Then open MS Paint and click Edit - Paste.  Save the Paint picture as a JPEG.  Then you can select it for a background using the Properties method explained above.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,721 Views)

Hello,

That seems to work okay. When I add a LED on top of it, How can I change the Color of the LED while the

Program is running. For example lets say the program is running and the temperature of a location goes over

a Limit. Now I would like to change the color of that location to Red.

I would like to change the color to different colors depending on the temerature. Boy, Do I miss Labwindows CVI.

It is so easy doing this in CVI.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,717 Views)

Well, it's even easier to do this in LabVIEW.  All you have to do is create a property node of the LED to change the colors if you want to change them programmatically.

Or simpler, if you only need two colors, one for true and one for false, just change the colors in the property dialog box of the LED and write the boolean value from your comparison to the LED indicator it directly.

If you are only familiar with a text based language like CVI, then I would recommend looking at the online LabVIEW tutorials
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,709 Views)