LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implement switching circuit in labview

Hi Everyone

Is it possible to implemet a switching circuit in Labview. I just know that i should use a "reply" for switching purpose, but I am not getting whether i could implement the remaing cicuit or not. If so.......Could someone please suggest me how could i do it. Thank you in advence

Regards

Pratheek 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 31
(3,237 Views)

Pratheek,

somehow i miss the point of your post.

You attach the image of an electric circuit and ask how to *implement* that using a graphical programming language.

What has an electric circuit to do with a software development application?

Can you "implement" that cicruit using e.g. C#? Java? Scripting languages like Python?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 31
(3,216 Views)

Hi Norbert_B

I am sorry. I am a beginner in Labview. I just need to control the switching of  the circuit using labview for the circuit I have attached . I just wanted to know is it possible to do so or not. Thanks for the reply

Regards

Pratheek

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31
(3,213 Views)

Pratheek,

so i understand that you have some kind of PCB with that circuit mounted on it. Is that custom made? Or is it some kind of standard PCI device from a well-known vendor?

Regarding the answer, the solution is very different.

In the second case, you should look for some drivers for the device. Many vendors provide an LV API, if not, you have to write the VIs yourself by calling the driver DLL.

In the first case, you have to figure out how to interface to the circuit. It should have some kind of standard interface (e.g. USB) running a custom protocol. If you know that protocol, you can wrap your own API functions.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 31
(3,201 Views)

Hi Norbert_B

I just have the circuit diagram right now and I have to built the hardware circuit by myself. I have an GPIB and NI USB 6501 I/O Interface. So i would like to control the switches in the hardware circuit using LV. But I dont have any idea how to do it. So I am looking for few suggestions and sample VI's if any available that would help me to move further with my project.

Regards

Pratheek

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31
(3,191 Views)

Pratheek,

you require some sort of controller chip which is in charge of switching all those switches in the circuit (S1, S2, ...). This controller chip has to have an interface you can use to send commands/parameters to it.

This can be done by a digital interface, serial or GPIB. So your first step is to look for a suitable controller chip which ideally directly supports at least one of these interfaces.

I would expect you to have to program that controller yourself using C or similar textual language.

If you got the PCB ready (including the controller), you can then start to work on a host application running on your PC to control that PCB. This application can be done in LV and interfaces with the controller chip via the given interface (e.g. serial port, GPIB, ...).

Norbert

Norbert
Message 6 of 31
(3,177 Views)

Norbert_B  

Thanks for the reply. Firstly even I thought of using an Microcontroller with a C program but later on my manager wants to try whether it is possbiel to contrlo the switchs using labview programming. So I was trying to find out some solution. Is it possible or is it an impossible task ? If it is so I will try to convince my manager for going with the microcontriller

Regards

Pratheek

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31
(3,173 Views)

Pratheek,

sure you can emulate the controller software using LV. You can use your digital IO device to connect to your circuit. BUT: You have to check if the driver chips for the switches are compatible with the output levels from the digital IO device. This is something where you have to compare the specs of the switches and the digital IO. If they are compatible, you can wire up the outputs with the inputs of the switch driver chips....

If they are incompatible, you require some adoption board.

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(3,167 Views)

Norbert_B

Sorry..... I didn't expalined you clearly my problem in my previous reply........ My manager wants to try controlling the switches only using labview programmiing "without using Microcontroller or any controlling chip in the harware circuit". Is it possible to do that so ?

Regards

Pratheek

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31
(3,155 Views)

Pratheek,

in order for the switch to work, it has to be supplied with power. Right?

But simply providing power doesn't switch it. Right?

So there must be an interface for the switch (is it a relay? Some kind of FET?) which CONTROLS the switch and let it switch to the next connection. You have to figure out if THAT INTERFACE is compatible to THE HARDWARE you already have available. If so, connect it. If not, build some kind of adoption board.

So currently this is no software related question!

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31
(3,146 Views)