LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact force measured using an accelerometer mounted on the bullet - urgent please

The results with the cylinder look to be reasonable. The bullet seems to be the problem. Below, you will find attached on how the bullet arrangement is. I was thinking of welding the bullet or increasing the diameter of the steel rod.

aaaa.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 44
(2,130 Views)

GUys,

I have done a test without the steel rod, just the hemispherical bullet to see the difference. For this purpose, the distance should be increased to cause damage in concrete. Here are the results. This is how the impact force should look like. You think the steel rod is the problem right?

66.JPG

Message 22 of 44
(2,110 Views)

I would believe that. Cany ou "hear" the ringing?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 44
(2,097 Views)

I cannot 'hear' the ringing. the event is too fast. if i understood your question 😕

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 44
(2,095 Views)

It certainly looks like the rod is ringing. Try to calculate the resonant frequency of the rod and then run a spectral analysis of the signals you get when the rod is attached to the bullet. Is ther a reasonable correlations?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 44
(2,091 Views)

Lynn

Fundamental frequency of the 0.650 m long steel rod

Steel bulk modulus = 163 GPa = 163 x 109 N/m2   (1 pa = 1 N/m2)

Density of mild steel = 7850 kg/m3

Speed of sound, velocity of plane longitudinal wave in mild steel.

Fundamental wave frequency of the rod, f = v/ 2L

f = [4556 m/s] / [2 x 0.650m] = 3504.6 Hz.

Below is the FFT of the accelerometer on the bullet, for three identical tests, it shows a frequency of around 3.5 kHz, but is this for the ringing? does the first peak corresponds to the impact?

exx.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 44
(2,079 Views)

It is very clear from that calculation and measurement that the steel rod (or something) is vibrating at its fundamental frequency. The correlation between the calculated frequency and the FFT is much closer than I expected. Most of the high frequency components in the smoothed data shown in your earlier images appear to be about 3.5 kHz. However, the response of the bullet only graph shows a similar frequency.

I am not sure how to calculate the resonance of the bullet but I wonder if it might be in the same range?

Try tapping the bullet with a small hammer while it is resting on that rubber pad. Try it with and without the steel rod attached. Look at the accelerometer outputs and FFTs in both cases.  The accelerations will be much smaller but the frequencies related to the bullet and rod will not change much.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 44
(2,070 Views)

Lynn

Actually, there is a mistake in the calculations above. I used the bulk modulus instead of the young modulus. The speed of sound in a solid depends on the young modulus. The bulk modulus is for fluids.

Fundamental wave frequency of the rod = 3978 Hz, not 3504.6 Hz.

I will do the test tmr.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 44
(2,059 Views)

Lynn,

Please see image below. i used an impact hammer to apply an impulse to the bullet with and without the steel rod. The acceleration in the first case shows a first negative peak because i hit the bullet in the opposite direction so it exhibited upward movement which is negative.

The frequencies do not seem to change much with and without the steel rod.

Acceeee.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 44
(2,049 Views)

I just want to comment that this is all FASCINATING stuff.  I hope you don't mind me being a passive oberver.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 44
(2,032 Views)