LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas for generating a Company-Accessible Labview Code Design Library

Hello all,

My group has been tasked with generating a Labview design library that can be accessed by all of our companies' Labview coders. The primary goals are to maximize code reusability and to share knowledge amongst everyone. I'm opening this as a general open-ended discussion to gather ideas on different approaches for this - has anyone else on the forums had experience doing something similar? Any suggestions on tools to use / approaches to take?

One thing I have to consider is that not all of our engineers use the same versions of Labview, as certain projects have constraints requiring certain LV versions be used.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,208 Views)

Sounds like a common idea.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,202 Views)

To go a little deeper, here are some additional questions...

• Has anyone worked on a webpage or other means to allow fellow developers to submit code?
  • Does anyone have previous experience and can mention any hurdles they experienced or lessons learned in implementing such systems?
  • What database program / version control programs were used?
  • How successful was the reuse library?
  • Any general tips, etc?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,188 Views)

1.  Establish a reuse style guide and be strict in the reviews.  Good VI documentation,  tip strips FP layout all of it!!!  make it comprehensive.  Its no use creating the library if the developers cannot figure out what it does and why it is where it is.

2. Branch the library for each LabVIEW version and document any upgrades (a good bug tracking system is essential!) 

3. Don't let every developer submit willy nilly.  The submission process should be through a select committee of more advanced developers to control where the code goes so the rest of the developers will find it on YourPallet. and obvious related code (inverse of function, poly instances...) are grouped together.

Key Point.  Focus on the developer that will implement the tools in the library.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,177 Views)