LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon template text not visible

Solved!
Go to solution

I started a new project recently and used the QMH framework template. I chose to create an Icon Template when I created the project. All of the VIs created with the project have the template and text along the top I put in. When I create a new VI in the project it has the standard generic VI icon. I go into Icon Editor, go to templates, and select the sort of split template with the box in the top part and erase the generic VI icon. I'm left with just the template, I can color it in and add the text/glyphs but cannot figure out how to get the text in the top part of template like the template VIs (with my text) that came in the QMH project. 

What am I missing to get text in the top part?

TheWolfmansBrother_0-1615305219226.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,292 Views)

You could add text anywhere on the icon using the text button on the pallette on the left and then clicking and typing on the icon. If it doesn't end up in the right place just use the tool below it to drag it to the top. 

image.png

Hope that helps! 

Riley 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,283 Views)

Yeah but that's tedious and I made the template to be lazy haha. I would prefer to not have to do that every time I make a new VI. I was hoping I just missed a setting that controls whether the template text I put in when I made them shows up.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,268 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TheWolfmansBrother

Could you not add the text and save that as a new template? 

Message 4 of 6
(1,262 Views)

Had no idea I could save templates, this is my first time trying to use them. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,256 Views)

@riley.ilieva wrote:

Could you not add the text and save that as a new template? 

That's precisely what I've done (since I am also Lazy).  If you notice, the "Box-at-the-top" Template has a Box that is 1/4 the height and a bottom section that is 3/4.  To create my own Template, I start with the Box-on-top Template, color it as I like, use the Text Tool to write a 9-pt common Header in the top Box, and set the Icon Text (on the Icon Text tab) to be 10 Point, not Capitalized.  I also limit myself to only 3 lines of text -- I find 10 point, mixed case, 3 lines is usually enough to be clearly readable.

I've posted a number of VIs in this Forum -- if you find one, you'll probably see some of my Icon Templates at work.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,252 Views)