LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icon Library XML File Location?

Solved!
Go to solution

My installed version of LabVIEW 2015, Full, SP1, does not have glyphs/icons available, so I am trying to download the required files.  I have downloaded the zip file successfully, but when I try to download the XML file, the link takes me to a page with raw code.  When I copy, paste and save this code into an XML file, I get an error when I try to sync manually.  Syncing automatically also fails.

Here is the location of the xml file that does not work after being cut and pasted: http://www.ni.com/swf/iconlib/icons_filtered.xml

Anyone know where I can find an XML file that will work?

Of course, if there is a better way to get my glyphs working, please let me know.

Thanks.

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,908 Views)

Right-click on the link to the XML file and do a "Save Link As".  That should allow you to save the XML file to your harddrive.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 7
(5,893 Views)

It's funny.  I tried right-clicking the link on the NI page, but the "Save Link" option did not come up.  When I right click on the link I posted, which I cut and pasted from the web page with the XML file, it works fine.  Thanks!

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,876 Views)

So now I have the XML file working correctly, and when I go through the manual sync I end up with the attached screen.  But then when I exit, I still don't have any glyphs.  What am I not doing?  Thanks.Sync Screen.png

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,873 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author diarmaede

So a couple of things might be going on.  Does this computer have multiple users?  Glyphs are installed for the user that installs LabVIEW, but no others.  If you don't like this design you should go vote for this idea.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Shared-Icon-Editor-Glyphs-Directory/idi-p/3253351

As for the broken glyph updating tool, I have no idea.  The stupid thing just has never worked for me.  NI even made a stand alone program once for updating glyphs and it just doesn't seem to work well either.  To help with this I've attached my glyphs and you can just copy and past them in your <My Documents>\LabVIEW Data\Glphys folder.  In addition to the ones that come with LabVIEW 2015 I've also added a Hooovahh folder with several from an open library of icons, and a few I've made.  After copying them relaunch LabVIEW and open the icon editor, then wait a few seconds while it indexes that directory of icons.

Given some time I bet someone could make a tool that properly syncs, downloads, and installs the icons properly, especially since I think most of the icon editor is open source.

Message 5 of 7
(5,825 Views)

Thanks very much!

Forbes Black
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,808 Views)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,232 Views)