LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQ LineProfile data bit depth

I am having a difficult time to understand the vision acquisition express vi. I am able to get an image from my camera using the vi however I have a few questions about this vi. The camera I am using is 8 bit RGB camera. Firstly, what is this 'image data' output from the vi? Why can't I plot it with intensity graph and why is the data U32? 

I wrote a simple code to extract the line profile but what is the bit depth of the line profile? It seems that the max. value the line profile can take is around 190. Why is that the max. value?

Screenshot 2023-02-08 180924.png

Screenshot 2023-02-08 181004.png

Sorry if this is a simple question. I am new to IMAQ. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(593 Views)

@Jaywai wrote:

Sorry if this is a simple question. I am new to IMAQ. 

No need to apologize.  I had about 3-4 years of LabVIEW programming experience (with a dedicated mentor who quickly got me oriented to Graphical Programming and the Principles of Data Flow -- I was already a proficient Pascal/Matlab/Macro programmer) before a colleague asked for my help with a Video Acquisition routine using IMAQdx.  Wow, this was some strange (and confusingly-documented) stuff!  Fortunately, there were two of us trying to "teach ourselves" how IMAQdx worked.

Images are not Intensity Graphs, and (I believe) are not LabVIEW "Pictures" -- they are Video Images that conform to "Video Standards" (the cameras that IMAQdx likes are those that adhere to the GenICam Standard).

To see an IMAQdx Image, you need to use the IMAQdx Display window (I don't have LabVIEW Vision installed on this machine, so I don't remember the actual name for this Indicator).

I think I'd advise you to look at some of (what I hope are) the "simple" LabVIEW Vision examples to see how to, say, capture an Image from a Video Camera and display it on an Image Display.  Start with the simple IMAQdx functions, not with the Express VI -- this will give you some idea of how IMAQdx works.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(557 Views)

Hi Bob, thanks for the advice. I will try that 😊

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(549 Views)