From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2C on a cDAQ

Hello,

I have seen the Whitepaper regarding I2C modules but they seem to be strictly for FPGAs.  Is I2C a possibility with cDAQs?  I could definitely see that being a "no" seeing as how the code is all remote.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,030 Views)

Hi Dose,

apart from your question: you might use an Arduino as a cheap I2C-to-COMport bridge…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,976 Views)

I am a big fan of the USB-845x devices from NI, which can handle SPI and I2C as well as some additional DIO.  A little on the pricey side, but they work beautifully.

I have also had success using a VirtualBench as an I2C master, assuming you also need a DMM, oscilloscope, logic analyzer, power supply, and/or more DIO.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,972 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Dose,

apart from your question: you might use an Arduino as a cheap I2C-to-COMport bridge…

This was actually one of the ideas we've put into our AoA.  Arduino/Pic.  But we only want a single controller.  So if I got with Micro option, then no cDAQ.  And I'm personally falling in love with the idea of all code being on the remote machine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,962 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I am a big fan of the USB-845x devices from NI, which can handle SPI and I2C as well as some additional DIO.  A little on the pricey side, but they work beautifully.

I have also had success using a VirtualBench as an I2C master, assuming you also need a DMM, oscilloscope, logic analyzer, power supply, and/or more DIO.

Definitely considered these, but for our needs, not enough DIO.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,961 Views)