LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to run two copies of a test program simultaneously

I am writing a test program in Labview (currently 6.0.1, but planning to update to 8.2).  There are some long delays necessary in making some of the measurements so I am planning on duplicating the test hardware to build two fixtures.  I am also duplicating all the hardware needed.  I have two questions.  The test equipment is GPIB controlled.  I am using a Keithley KUSB-488 interface.

1.   Can I run two instances of the same Labview program at the same time?  Would the test programs step all over each other?  I envision starting the first application, etnering its serial number, etc and doing the same for the second program.  When they are done, each program would save the results from its test to a unique data file for that serial numbered device.

2.   Will the USB-GPIB adapter get confused?  I would have the instrument addresses different on each test setup, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I realize that it would be much much simpler to duplicate the controller PC.  But I am trying to save both money and bench space by using just the one controller.  I plan on using a run-time copy of the applications.

Is this feasible?  I am new to this area of using Labview, but am somewhat familiar with the program in general.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,513 Views)
in 8.2 you can save your vi as a .vit and programatically spawn as many instances of it as you want.  You just have to keep track of the references

in 6.0.1 you could try to make your VIs reentrant then run them in a higher level vi in parallel loops
- James

Using LV 2012 on Windows 7 64 bit
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,498 Views)

It can be done easily.  In each program, you will need to be able to specify (with front panel control or hard wired) which Keithley goes with each program.  Each Keithley will be given a unique name on the GPIB bus, just designate one for each program and they should run completely independent.

Tom

It might be better to create the program to run both tests rather than two seperate tests, however.  This is not a situation I have tried, but I don't think it will cause an issue!

Message Edited by Tom Haggerty on 04-25-2007 02:11 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,494 Views)