LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to know if LabVIEW can alter(not just gather data) this custom-made software that measures pressure and torque read from an instrument.

Solved!
Go to solution

My company bought this custom-made software that calibrates the pressure and torque applied to an object. The issue is that the custom-software is missing some features that my boss really wants to be able to toggle. The company that installed the custom-software and installed the torque calibration instruments said they aren't able to make those specifications but they suggested to look into LabVIEW but had absolutely no idea if it was possible to use LabVIEW.

First thing you are guys are probably wondering is what kind of software it is. I will get back to you what it is in a while when the company that installed the custom-software gets back to me.

As you can tell, I am very clueless about this whole thing.

My first question is: Is LabVIEW even capable of editing/altering certain types of software or just extracting it? And is there a list of software programs that I can see that LabVIEW is able to edit and alter (not just extracting data)?

Is there a list of file type extensions that LabVIEW can open and edit?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,151 Views)

LabVIEW is a programming language.  You can read any file, but it is up to you to figure out how it should be interpreted.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,120 Views)

You talk about "custom-made software" that "calibrates the pressure and torque applied to an object".  How are pressure and torque measured?  By this "custom software", or by another instrument that supplies data (in some unspecified format/protocol) to the software?  What does it mean to "calibrate" pressure and torque?  Is there a "calibration procedure" whereby you apply a known pressure and/or torque, make a reading which the Software stores, then internally applys some algorithm (linear interpolation, polynomial fit, something else) to allow subsequent pressure/torque readings to be properly scaled in Standard Units?

If you have hardware to produce Pressure and Torque, and have a way to interact with this hardware (USB, GPIB, Ethernet) to send it commands, and also have a way to measure Pressure and Torque, you could certainly write a routine in LabVIEW that probably has all the functionality of the Custom Software, with the additional provisions that your company needs.  Unless you have your own LabVIEW developers (which, it sounds like, you do not), you might be advised to hire a consultant or consulting company for this task.

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 5
(1,110 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sommerville

My first question is: Is LabVIEW even capable of editing/altering certain types of software or just extracting it? 

Short answer. No.

LabVIEW can not "open" an executable written in another programming language.

But chances are LabVIEW can do everything your current program does and more.

Although you or somebody is going to have to start from scratch and write the entire LabVIEW program.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 4 of 5
(1,089 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sommerville

BTW: LabVIEW can not "open" an executable written in LabVIEW!

Once it's compiled you can't "recover" the source code regardless of programming language.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 5 of 5
(1,068 Views)