LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting error -10845 on a PC 700MHz, 128MB. Why?

I'm using LV 5.1 on Win 98 second edition. Daqcard AI-16XE-50 is being configured for one channel, and sampled at 200kS for 4096 pts; it's then configured for another channel, and the same sampling numbers. The acquisition is also being triggered once every second.
It's a modification of the Dynamic Signal Analyzer example.
AI Buffer Read keeps giving me error -10845 at random intervals. Once it choked consistently every ten minutes for 30 minutes. Sometimes it can go for 4 hours without locking up.
PC is 700 MHZ, 128MB. That should be plenty fast.
Any ideas what is wrong?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,592 Views)
Without seeing your DAQ configuration setup, it is difficult to know what the problem is. There error translates as follows:

NI-DAQ LV: Because of system and/or bus-bandwidth limitations, the driver could not read data from the device fast enough to keep up with the device throughput; the onboard device memory reported an overflow error.

The most likely answer is that you have configured it to not do DMA somehow. I would look into your DAQ Read configuration and make sure you are reading the data properly.

Also, be very careful with Windows. If your application is fast enough, the environment may slow it down. Be sure you have everything off that runs in memory (to check your system resources, open Soltaire, and choose Help>>About to find your memory allocation
. Taskbar items can eat a lot of memory. Don't assume 128MB is enough. Also, don't buy memory to solve an issue that may simply be too much junk loaded into memory. Start trashing stuff.

Good luck
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,592 Views)
Make sure that no other programs are interfering with your acquisition.

Press ctrl-alt-Del to see what else is running.

E.g. if you install Office, it also installs FindFast, which indexes
your hard disk every few hours. Disable it in Control Panel. (You said
that once it kept choking for 30 minutes; that's about right for
FindFast.)

Disable antivirus software, which may be doing automated scans, or
getting new antivirus files automatically.

In Windows Update, uninstall the function that keeps Windows up-to-date
automatically, because it can automatically start large downloads.

Mark
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,592 Views)
All that is installed is Win 98, LV 5.1, and NI-DAQ 6.8.1
Microsoft Office and additional virus scanners have not been installed.
It is not connected to the internet, nor has it been configured to do so...so I don't see how Windows Update would work.
Also, according to the Solitaire suggestion of another post, resources are 75% free.
Device Manager has "Use automatic settings" checked (I cannot uncheck it and save), with "Basic Configuration 0000" grayed out.
Another program, written in C, can perform the same acquistion (only without displays) on the same machine.
My program is essentially the DSA example, only changed to collect with a time limit, on every second, and toggle between two channels.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,592 Views)