LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I give up using online installers

NI's new online installers seem to always fail in one way or another.

I have tried multiple times to install LV2020 using the online installer only to have it fail every time blaming my internet connection.

It's NOT my internet connection, it's NI's servers timing out. 

I am downloading the offline package right now at a whopping 7 megabits per second.

Speed tests say it's not me that has the slow connection.

speedCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,319 Views)

Speedtest will always give you awesome results because it always selects the optimum server to connect to.  (If you feel this is cheating, IMO it's not.  You want to see what your potential speed is, this is as close as it gets.)

To get a better idea of what is actually going on network-wise, I would do a tracert to the server as well.

Although I tend to agree with you - NI download servers suck.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,301 Views)

The OFFLINE installer also failed and told me to check my internet connection?

I even tried this several times with the Ethernet cable unplugged hoping the installer could figure out that it did not have an internet connection and use the local files 

This is the error

OfflineCapture.PNG

WTF?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,266 Views)

@billko wrote:

Speedtest will always give you awesome results because it always selects the optimum server to connect to.  (If you feel this is cheating, IMO it's not.  You want to see what your potential speed is, this is as close as it gets.)

I have heard anecdotally that Speedtest gives you good results because the ISP's detect their test and process that speed test differently, or that Speedtest will use "peak" download rates instead of sustained. For example, I just ran a few tests. Here are my results:

Speedtest:

BertMcMahan_0-1596219767208.png

Testmy.net:

BertMcMahan_1-1596219777553.png

speedof.me:

BertMcMahan_5-1596220152047.png

dslreports.com/speedtest:

BertMcMahan_4-1596220049247.png

Speedtest gave me nearly 2x the next highest test result. IMHO there is something fishy about how they do their tests. Testmy.net did give an overall max and min, and the max was 449 Mbps for just a second. Speedof.me did a similar graph but it showed a sustained 450 Mbps for at least a few seconds. YMMV.

I also agree that NI's servers are quite slow.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,255 Views)

Check your connection is a catch all error when a package doesn't install...I know.  I've got that error when I was out of hard drive space on my primary drive (which is where packages install unless you change registry settings), and I've seen it when a stick of RAM was bad in my PC causing the extraction to fail a CRC check.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,225 Views)

LabVIEW 2020 is the WORST distribution ever! 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,210 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

@billko wrote:

I have heard anecdotally that Speedtest gives you good results because the ISP's detect their test and process that speed test differently, or that Speedtest will use "peak" download rates instead of sustained. For example, I just ran a few tests. Here are my results:

Speedtest:

BertMcMahan_0-1596219767208.png

Testmy.net:

BertMcMahan_1-1596219777553.png

speedof.me:

BertMcMahan_5-1596220152047.png

dslreports.com/speedtest:

BertMcMahan_4-1596220049247.png

Speedtest gave me nearly 2x the next highest test result. IMHO there is something fishy about how they do their tests. Testmy.net did give an overall max and min, and the max was 449 Mbps for just a second. Speedof.me did a similar graph but it showed a sustained 450 Mbps for at least a few seconds. YMMV.

I also agree that NI's servers are quite slow.

Well, yes - that's what I am saying.  It is optimized to show you that your physical connection is fine.  The other speed tests tell you how well your ISP is connected to the network world around it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,161 Views)

This thread just makes me really sad how slow my internet is. 20Mbps on a good day

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,155 Views)

Now that you mention it, I think I also eventually went with the download, as "online" failed.  I did get the download to work, but thus far, I'm restricting myself to running LabVIEW 2020 on its own VM until I feel ready to do a "real" upgrade.  Note that my colleagues are all running LabVIEW 2019, so I might restrict this VM to handling 2020 LabVIEW Forum questions ...

And, yes, it was a painfully slow download (I forget how many hours it took ...)

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,128 Views)