LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not open Excel (97, 2000, or 2003) spreadsheet in Win98 OS PC using LabVIEW 7.0 Runtime Engine

Hi,

I have a problem opening an Excel spreadsheet by a LabVIEW application that is using Runtime Engine 7.0 in a Windows 98 OS environment .

I tried LabVIEW 7.1, it will not install on Win98. Meanwhile, I installed  Excel 97 and 2000 (Excel 2003 does not install on Win98) and tried to open the spreadsheet, no luck with any combination.

Same code can open the spreadsheet in a WinXP OS, RTE 7.0, Excel 2000/2003 environment.

What can I do? Any advise?

Regards,
LVLV
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,290 Views)
If you developed with Excel 2003, the problem may be that the ActiveX properties and methods are different in the older versions of Excel on the other pc. If you don't want to upgrade the win98 pc to something a bit newer, then you can remove Excel 2003 from the development machine so that you are sure you are only using the same version of Excel that is on the older pc. If my guess is write, you will have to modify the source program as well. This is one of the pitfalls with ActiveX. It works much better if you are able to keep all versions of the OS and the ActiveX application the same.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,281 Views)

Hi,

I did some experiment, I found out that Run-Time Engine 7.0 running executable generated at LabVIEW 7.0 environment (code written in LabVIEW 7.1 but save as 7.0) cannot open Excel 2000 files. If I replace Excel 2000 with Excel 2003 application on my pc, the executable code will open the Excel file (Run-Time Engine 7.0 works with Excel 2003).

Is the Excel 2003 and higher versions will only work with Run-Time Engine 7.0 and higher code?

How can I make executables using Run-Time Engine 7.0 work with Excel 2000 (Windows 98 operating system)??? (I cannot change Excel and Run-Time Engine and OS versions due to limitations, how can I work with what I have?).

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

LVLV

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,228 Views)
Hi,

I agree with Dennis here on this issue.  If you are jumping versions of Excel, then your ActiveX components may have changed, causing your exe not to work. To answer your questions:

Is the Excel 2003 and higher versions will only work with Run-Time Engine 7.0 and higher code?
I do not think that this is the issue- it's more of an issue of developing your code to work with a specific version of Excel and  ActiveX components that are compliant with that version.

How can I make exe's using RT engine 7 work with Excel 2000?  You would need to change your code to work with Excel 2000 and ActiveX, since right now it has been developed with Excel 2003.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Nadim
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,208 Views)