From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am looking for some information on ELAN protocol for Siemens analyzers and also some information on AK protocol for California Analytical Analyzers. Mainly I need a starting point to communicate with these devices for labview.

I have recently purchased some new analyzers and would like to communicate with them through labview. 2 analyzers are connected through the Siemens ELAN and the other uses AK protocol. Any help would be greatly appreciated
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 266
(11,501 Views)
Hi EECL,

There are no premade VIs for these protocols from NI. You have a couple of options, however. If you go to the manufacturers, they may have developed VIs for you or DLLs to interface with this hardware. If you have VIs, you're all set. If you have DLLs, then you would need some documentation on the DLLs and what functions are available to you. Then you can call the DLL in LabVIEW using the Call Library Node. If you have neither, but you know the physical connection is via network or serial port, you can use Datasocket or VISA commands to manually send the data to and from your instruments. You need to get documentation on the protocols to understand how the instrument formats the commands and how it returns data. Then you can manually create the
"packet" of data you need to send in the correct format, and then pass it on to the device. Hope this helps!

Jeremy L.
National Instruments
Jeremy L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 266
(11,406 Views)
Hi Jeremy,

I know that NI has nothing pre-made, however, I came accross some old topics in the discussion forums in which some other users had developed vi's for my application. I was hoping they might see my question and respond. The topic I found was posted by GGB on 1/30/02 and answered by David Boyd that same day. David offered some stuff he had written to GGB for Siemens ELAN but I don't know how to get ahold of him to see if he would be willing to make the same offer for me.

Thanks,
EECL
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 266
(11,411 Views)
Hi,

Can you post that thread? I would like to look at it and see if I can find any more information for you.

Jeremy L.
National Instruments
Jeremy L.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 266
(11,409 Views)
EECL, hope you set this thread to alert you when there's a new post - I see that it's three months old at this point. Sorry I haven't looked at this forum for awhile, though I'm active in other LV resources - Info-LabVIEW, LAVA, etc.

If you still want help with Siemens ELAN, post back here or send me an email (my profile should list it), and I'll be glad to send you code I have. It implements enough of ELAN to properly decode 'broadcast' messages, and provides enough framework for you to do addressed command/response transactions. It's been in daily use here for about 4 years, with a bunch of OXYMAT 6 analyzers.

With best regards,

Dave
David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 5 of 266
(11,410 Views)
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your code offer, I will take you up on it. The primary task I want to accomplish it to read the displayed value from the analyzer into my data aquisition vi. Any help you give is greatly appreciated.
I was unable to fine your email on your profile, however you may email me at kirk@engr.colostate.edu

Thanks,

Kirk
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 266
(11,360 Views)
Hi,

I just found these posts while looking for some informations about siemens ELAN protocol for oxymat and ultramat gas analyser.

I haven't found interesting things on siemens website.... Any help would be very appreciated !

As the last post in this thread was 4 years old, it's like a bottle in the sea...

Ludos
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 266
(10,689 Views)

Ludos,

I have developed some basic communication vi's for this, however, we have purchased a 3rd party serial to internet converter and just use TCP vi's with the command structure listed in the Siemens manuals for communication.  It is all ASCII based and pretty easy to use.  If you need further help just reply to this thread again and I can get you some more info.

Kirk

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 266
(10,680 Views)

Ludos,

If you just want to talk to an OXYMAT/ULTRAMAT via ELAN, I have a pretty well documented suite of VIs which handle the protocol over a standard serial port using VISA.  You simply need a regular asynch serial port with RS-485 levels.  You can get a 232 to 485 level converter, or an RS-485 interface card (NI sells several excellent RS-485 devices for PCI, USB, etc.)  Email me and I'll reply back with the VIs.  What version LV are you using?

Best regards,

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 9 of 266
(10,681 Views)
Dave,

You exactly have what i need !! here is my email : lmazeyrat@assystem.com
I'm using Labview 8.5.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer,