From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a thermal camera in Labview (Optris PI 640)

Solved!
Go to solution

I know this is kinda late, but here is the complete folder with the subVI's and the instructions on how to add them to your labview palette. The instructions are word docs called "IR Imager VIs" and "sample applications" found under the "labview" folder. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-YSEyIjmjHvRWtqQkt3OXMyblE/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 33
(4,124 Views)

Hi,

First, thanks for the job done with the VI's and the explanations, it's very helpful for me.

I am working on a project with a thermal camera (optris PI 640), I already used your VI's for display the stream which is working great. I would like to add your VI it in my masta program which save a lot of different types of measurement, for saving temperatures of a area in a file but I cannot access the diagrams. Would you share your password to modify the VI?

I am also looking for start a recording in the software from a command in the labview program and create a VI which can load a .ravi file and extract the temperatures from a define area. Do you think it is doable?

Thanks for your help

Michel

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 33
(3,983 Views)

Hi,
I am trying to extract data from .ravi file and have no idea how to start. Any hints ?

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 33
(3,888 Views)

Hi kerej!

I had same issue a while back.

I got some answers from Optris, but never had time to try them.

I ended up using PI connect and exporting individual frames to csv files, then importing to labview (single/float image).

But Optris told me this:

"Generally there is a Labview driver available. But first of all, it is not supporting RAVI files.

Please see the information attached.

https://www.optris.global/optris-pi-sdks

But if he want to use it online with live view then I’m sure they are able to implement by using driver. To get it please see here:

The only way I see to analyze a ravi is to create a virtual comport (via Com0Com -  see software CD). Then they can use the commands from our serial communication. See pdf attached."

I'm not sure if it is possible, but my idea was to use the PI connect software for playback of *.ravi file and hope to stream the data using a virtual com-port (which seems to be possible for a live camera feed).

PS. There seem to have been some update on the SDK, check the link above.

Best Regards,

/David

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 33
(3,875 Views)

Thanks, I will definitely try this. 
I or to be honest my thesis advisor has an idea to open ravi format like normal txt data and then try to uncode it ( it should be wrote in ASCII or something). Do you think is it possible ?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 33
(3,869 Views)

You can open a *.ravi as an avi in labview (rename file to *.avi).

Avi info, framerate and #frames are correctly displayed and image type is supposedly rgb.

I can split the rgb into color planes (three U8 images).

I think Optris has used a regular avi as a "data container" and has used the 3x8bit to encode their float data, a sort of encoding. 

If I look at the individual color planes, I can see image objects but the pixel values are off.

Their cameras are - 20 to 2000 celsius, and csv gives one decimal but they have probably used a larger range?

Have played around with "join numbers" for the pixel values (2xU8 make up lo+ho byte of U16), without any luck.

Perhaps some float transformation (exponent + mancissa)?

Thats all I got I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 33
(3,867 Views)

Hello @gookman

Thanks a lot for helping in this post.

I would like to connect optris thermal camera PI450i with labview.

What i would like to know is if I can create a ROI and then get the temperature in each pixel of this ROI.

Do you know if I can do this with those VIs that you shared?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 33
(3,193 Views)

Hello, thanks for sharing this information.

Do you think that is possible to do what I say in the previous comment with serial communicationusing a virtual comport as you mentioned?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 33
(3,189 Views)

Hi!

Not suite sure what you mean by ROI.

Do you want to transfer only a part of the image to labview?

I don't know if this is possible (but I don't think so).

You could just get the full image and do the ROI in labview.

Temperature (%.1f) is available in each pixel if camera supports temp info.

Optris has a new SDK (Called Direct SDK) with DLLs that communicate directly to the camera. No need for Optris PIX Connect software or any virtual COM-ports. Tried it and it I very simple and robust.

OBS! What you do not get is the image buffer number, so if you need to do very acurate timing - be aware.

https://www.optris.global/sdk

http://documentation.evocortex.com/libirimager2/html/index.html

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 33
(3,182 Views)

Hello!

Thanks for replying.

I would like to do the next in Labview:

1- Display the thermal image in a display on labview (like this):

2- User draw a ROI (a region of interest in a rectangle shape):

LV.png

3- Then get the pixel with maximun temperature and show as an indicator in the same front panel.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 33
(3,176 Views)