Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update numeric indicator with digital input

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello guys,

I am attempting to write code to do the following;

The USB-6501 P0.0 connected to a switch that is held high via a resistor.

The switch is pressed and I can detect the input (my Panel LED changes color).

I need to update a numeric indicator (I think that is the correct vi I should use) everytime the switch is pressed.

Any assistant will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(3,541 Views)

What do you mean by "update a numeric indicator"?

What do you want it to show?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(3,529 Views)

Update with what value? Do you want to count the numer of presses?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(3,519 Views)

I would like to display the number of times the switch has been pressed. I meant numeric constant.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(3,517 Views)

Yes, that is correct.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(3,515 Views)

actually it is numeric indicator is correct.  you can think about the logic necessary to qualify as a change/increment, and that is what you have to program.  And actually for the hardware you are using, I believe there are built in counters that you can use to make your life easier:  http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375267a.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(3,501 Views)

Yes, the output of the source is 1D Array (TRUE or FALSE) and the type of the sink (numeric indicator) is a double. I am having trouble connecting them together.

I did notice my device has the event counter as shown in the document. Perhaps I'm approching this in the wrong way since I need to have 8 switches and each has their own numeric indicator.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(3,481 Views)

You should be able to just use a counter to read in the number of edges so you don't even have to convert from the arrray:  http://www.ni.com/f/students/12/7353/en/

But if you want to go that route, you can use a for loop to go through each index of your array.  Just make a for loop, then wire your array into it, and you will see that it automatically takes each index for each iteration of the for loop. 

edit to answer your edit:

So, if you have 8 switches, it would make sense as to why you might be getting an array of 8 boolean, because it is for each of your inputs. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(3,469 Views)

Store the number in a shift register.  Use boolean crossing Pt by Pt to determine when the switch changes.  When that is true, then add 1 to the value going into the shift register.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(3,466 Views)

Pardon my ignorance, what is PT by PT?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(3,457 Views)