LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to properly organise multiple controls on block-diagram?

I have more than 40 controls on front panel. If I do 'Clean-Up diagram' than all of them become very disorganized, diagram becomes very big. I drives me crazy:( 

What is the way to organize big number of controls nicely? Is there a way to fix theirs position, group somehow?

Bet, it is simple, but I simply do not know how to do that.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,779 Views)

I hope it is not a subVI with 40 inputs-outputs 😃

With user interface VIs they are never placed (never should be placed) in one location and read every cycle

Group them into clusters

Process several, logically connected controls at a time, not all elements. For example their value change event (several in one frame) can update cluster(s) of parameters in shift register.

Place where they are being used: buttons usually in the Value change event frame, config controls - in the configuration frameS of a state machine.

Message 2 of 11
(3,763 Views)

To start with, don't use clean up block diagram, that always makes a bigger mess than it started with. 

Before:

BD-Dirty.PNG

After:

BD-Clean.PNG

You need to be disciplined to keep it organised from the start and don't let it get out of control.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,755 Views)

Hi RTSLVU,

don't use clean up block diagram, that always makes a bigger mess than it started with.

I disagree: you will find a lot of VIs here in the forum where Ctrl-U really helps to make them readable… 😄

On topic:

When you want certain structures to keep their look even when using AutoCleanup you can exclude them from cleanup with just a right-click!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 11
(3,751 Views)

If you want to organise the controls in the front panel then you should use these options.

Organise Tools.PNG

And for the lock and group part. Select all the controls you want to lock position or group together and select the option.

Screenshot (101).png

Kudos are welcome.

Certified-LabVIEW-Developer_rgb.jpg

Best Regards,
Prince Agarwal,
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,743 Views)

Isn't there a cleanup option to move terminals to the left and right? (Sorry, currently on the phone, cannot check).

In any case, I assume that large subgroups of controls could be organized into clusters, dramatically simplifying the diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,734 Views)

You are right! I'm such a dummy, never thought of using clusters for this purpose, meanwhile it would be cool to have an option to fix certain elements on the block-diagram at a certain place not allowing them to move.

I have multiple buttons to control experiment, they are not doing anything on the block-diagram, they are just hanging around. As for numercal controls, I personally detest wires, so I use propeties, where I can.

So all controls are hanging all alone on the diagram, making a big mess all over it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,715 Views)

saldenisov wrote:  As for numercal controls, I personally detest wires, so I use propeties, where I can.

Smiley Mad

You are doing my pet peeve #1.  Property Nodes for getting and setting values are SLOW.  And I am talking 1000+ times slower than using the terminal or a local variable.  The reason is mostly due to the need to switch to the UI thread whenever you use the property node.  And you have to use a wire anyways to write/read a property node.  So what's wrong with just using the terminal instead?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 11
(3,709 Views)

@saldenisov wrote:

As for numercal controls, I personally detest wires, so I use propeties, where I can.

Smiley Surprised

You probably should be using a text based language, if that is the case.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,694 Views)

At this moment I cannot, I need make this epxeriment work:)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,687 Views)