LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to programatically set and save shortcut menus in to a control?

I want to create some some shortcut menus for multiple controls of the same type, I want to do it programatically so I dont have to go one by one editing the custom menus, or copy paste the same control since I would have to re-build all my controls every time I want to add a new shortcut menu option (becouse I dont know yet how many options I will need). How can I programatically add a element to the shortcut menu of a control, and save it in to it? For example, in shortcut menu activation event, I can modify add/remove elements, but this do not save on to the shortctu menu you edit statically in edit mode of the vi. Ty! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,371 Views)

PD: I know that I could just create the menu dinamically every time menu activation event happens, but this would be slower than having it already created on edit mode? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,367 Views)

Is this function what im looking for? "Set Menu Item Info Function"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,363 Views)
Maybe microscopically slower, but you aren't going to.have a huge menu on a control anyway. And it is much more maintainable.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,323 Views)

Yes Mike, I will create all shortcuts on runtime, time diference is not a factor! Ty!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,288 Views)

Mike, How do you detect when the user does not select an item of the shorcut menu by cliking somewhere else in the screen?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,257 Views)
In that case the menu selection doesn't fire.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,250 Views)

But if you are w8ing in a event structure for it the only chance is to put a timeout so you dont get stuck? When I create the menu I weit for the event rigth after, im triying to avoid timeouts so my while loop only runs when a event happens.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,239 Views)
There is no need for a time out. If someone right clicks on the control with the menu, a menu activation event is fired for that control. If the make a selection a menu selection event is fired for the control, otherwise it is like they never clicked on the control in the first place, nothing happens.

Write a small example for yourself and run it with execution highlighting turned on. You'll see what I mean.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,232 Views)

I think my problem is that im trying to detect the case in a separeted event structure, I detect activation in one event strcuture, then go to a case strcutrue when the shorcut activation fires, and then (inside the case structure and in a separated time structure from the frist that triggered activation for shorcut) I weit for selecction. You mean that if I w8 for the selecction in the same Event structure than the rest of the user interface that wont block my program rigth?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,224 Views)