LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pass data from LabVIEW using ActiveX

Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding the use of ActiveX controls and passing information from LabVIEW to another program.  In my case, I have to pass parameters generated in LabVIEW to another software called RPvdsEx.  It is a proprietary software from Tucker Davis Technoligies to control their DSPs and various other hardware devices.  I'm fairly new to LabVIEW so I'm lost when it comes to actually knowing how to pass something from LabVIEW to another software.  I know that the TDT system uses ActiveX to communicate and that I need to use that for LabVIEW.  The thing I am confused about is what nodes to use to pass this information from LabVIEW.  Let's just say I wanted to pass a simple parameter like a number from LabVIEW to another software using ActiveX.  Could somebody give me some sort of clue as the steps I would take to pass that information?  I have been reading the help section of the ActiveX controls, but I am still confused as to what controls to use (property node, invoke node, etc).  Any help on the matter would be great.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,581 Views)

Are you going to be creating an exe or calling the LabVIEW environment? I believe the default for LabVIEW is to have the ActiveX Server enabled. When you build an exe, this is an option you must select. Here is an example where the calling program is C# .NET. I'm confused as to what ActiveX controls you are talking about. You do not use any ActiveX controls in the LabVIEW application. Your other program will be calling LabVIEW properties and methods such as run, get control value, set control value, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,552 Views)

Hey tbergen1,

Have you tried looking at the built in examples within LabVIEW? I'm not sure which version you are currently using, but LabVIEW 2013 ships with a few ActiveX examples. A great one is the Excel - Write Table.vi which shows the complete process obtaining a reference to an ActiveX object and using property and invoke nodes to communicate with it. The process would most likely be very similar to what you are trying to do.

I've attached the Excel example just in case you don't have a way to access it.

Regards,

Ryan

Ryan P.
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,528 Views)

Giving this a second look, I'm unsure if the op wants to use LabVIEW as a client or server. Some clarification as to the main program would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,524 Views)

I'm doing exactly that!  We're using LabVIEW to run experiments where we play sounds by controlling a TDT System 3 using RPvdsEx.  I don't have the code I wrote to do this in front of me right now, but it is certainly "doable".  I'm trying to recall how I got the proper ActiveX Object on my screen (I wrote these routines a few years ago), so I may have to go into the lab and play around a bit.

If you Reply to this message (or send me an e-mail), I'll be happy to send you some VIs that may get you started.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,507 Views)