From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to indicate a points every certain period?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys! I'm still new on Labview. Me and my friends are currently working on a project to create a program to process data from excel spreadsheet and plot it on a x-y graph. Basically, our x-axis is the time and date on a certain month. The problem is, we are required to indicate clearly a point on the graph for a certain time of a day. But we also don't want to use lines since it will crowd out the graph. Is there anyway to differentiate the point on that particular time so that it will look distinctive or is there any other suggestion? Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,761 Views)

If i understood it right, you want your channels to be plotted as dots and not as lines.

right click on the channel in plot legend and select the 2nd option under Common Plots.

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,758 Views)

No, I mean, we still want the plot to be there. But for every certain interval, we want the point to be distinctive. So for example, we want the point at 8:00 am everyday to be conspicuous

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,754 Views)

could you show us an image of what you are expecting? it might be difficult to grasp the concept from text description.

you have the Annotations that can be made on a graph. you can have a program that will mark annotations at X value of 8:00 am.

Regards
Freelance_LV
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,750 Views)

Yeah, and it is for 8:00 AM every single day. The plot will consist of data for several days. Something like what I have attached below

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,747 Views)

Hi Sanctum,

you could use:

- graph annotations

- graph cursors

- a 2nd plot in the graph with different plot styles (maybe easiest option)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 9
(2,743 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sanctumsacre

I would again suggest to use annotations.

even as GerdW suggested, having an extra plot with the points you wish to highlight may be another option.

with annotations, you can add it on the graph in 3 ways:

while the application is running, right click on the graph and create annotation

or you can have a small module that marks annotations at pre defined X and Y values

or, you can have cursors on the graph which can be positioned at desired points and then a module that marks annotation at the cursor position

Regards
Freelance_LV
Message 7 of 9
(2,738 Views)

thank you guys, I guess I will go by 2nd plot and just hide the line, showing only the points. I do not really now how to set the annotations to come out every predefined values of x or y but I guess I can just somehow plot the graph.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,735 Views)

in that case, you should have selected the reply from GerdW as your solution. it was he who gave that suggestion

hmmmm

Regards
Freelance_LV
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,710 Views)