LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import LabVIEW block diagram from pdf file

Hello Friends,

I wanna do some smart work, who can guide me?

I have one PDF file where some LabVIEW block diagrams are shown. I want that block diagram to import into my VI file as we do a snippet.

Please guide me on how can do this.

as i attached file.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,298 Views)

Impossible because a PDF does not contain the same information a snippet does.

VI Snippets combine the portability of a screenshot with the functionality of a VI file by embedding LabVIEW code in a standard PNG image. .

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 2 of 17
(3,290 Views)

@Asif138 wrote:

Hello Friends,

I have one PDF file where some LabVIEW block diagrams are shown. I want that block diagram to import into my VI file as we do a snippet.

Capture

As has been said, you just have a picture, not a LabVIEW snippet.

Your picture is not suitable to even manually recreate the VI because express VIs and dynamic data hide too much information from the viewer. Maybe you can contact whoever wrote the code, but it does not look like a professional job and has meaningless parts (For example, inserting an array into an always empty array does nothing interesting or useful, right?). Then we also have wires flowing in all direction and not even the stop condition wired.

You should also make sure you have all drivers and toolkits (e.g. the Advanced Signal Processing Toolkit).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,225 Views)

You could probably make PDFs that allow this (by embed\attaching the VI as file, and configuring the image to link to the embedded VI). I know you can embed any file, but never tried to link an image to an embedded file. 

If the PDF has just images, it would probably only work if snippet PNGs where embedded. Also, never tried, but IIRC, PDF allows embedding PNGs (I'd have to check).

So if the PDF isn't designed specifically for embedding LabVIEW code, you'd have to reproduce the code yourself.

If your goal is to create PDFs that allow embedding LabVIEW code, there might be ways.

Message 4 of 17
(3,158 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

You could probably make PDFs that allow this (by embed\attaching the VI as file, and configuring the image to link to the embedded VI). I know you can embed any file, but never tried to link an image to an embedded file. 

If the PDF has just images, it would probably only work if snippet PNGs where embedded. Also, never tried, but IIRC, PDF allows embedding PNGs (I'd have to check).

So if the PDF isn't designed specifically for embedding LabVIEW code, you'd have to reproduce the code yourself.

If your goal is to create PDFs that allow embedding LabVIEW code, there might be ways.

If the embedded png file retains its metadata, it could work.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,101 Views)

@Asif138 wrote:

Hello Friends,

as i attached file.

Now that is a great project idea! I can think of some immediate applications of having soemthing that can convert a picture into LabVIEW code. 

We will need 2 full time LabVIEW developers and a full time Python Developer and about 10.4 months, But after that, we will have a nice tool and possibly a new business. 

I can be the Python developer. 

(3,050 Views)

That is great...

but I can't work as I am a beginner

I hope there are many people who can work with you and design this project.

Regards

Asif 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(2,957 Views)

I think Jay was probably joking. 😄

A typical diagram picture has insufficient information to do anything unless it is a very simple program that could be equally well just copied by hand.

Critically required information missing from a flat picture:

• Any code that is inside other cases of case structures
  • Any code that is in other frames of a stacked sequence (yuk!)
  • default values of controls
  • mechanical action of boolean controls.
  • Configurations of express VIs
  • content type of dynamic data
  • Datatype of diagram constants
  • Content of rings, enums, clusters, etc..
  • Front panel settings and control/indicator cosmetics and configurations.
  • routing and connection points of misaligned or partially hidden wires.
  • Terminal assignments*
  • SubVI settings (reentrancy, etc.)*
  • etc.etc

*also missing from snippets

Message 8 of 17
(2,945 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I think Jay was probably joking. 😄

Pretty sure about that too.

Note (as pointed out) that an image only shows visible diagrams, so any multi case structure would fail, unless all cases (recursively) are visible and uniquely linked to the higher level image. IMO messy and difficult.

I'm still puzzled about the title of this thread. Is the goal to create a VI from a (any) PDF, or is the goal to create PDFs that contain snippets?

If the goal is to create PDFs that contain snippets, "why" would be my next question.

If that is the goal, there is hope though. The PDF standard does have some PNG in it, and if the viewers would copy the PNG binary (not optimized like this forum does by default) it should work pretty decently.

Message 9 of 17
(2,876 Views)

@Asif138 wrote:

I want that block diagram to import into my VI file as we do a snippet.

Painfully and manually.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 10 of 17
(2,836 Views)