LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement a live data logging (camera) into Excel using LabVIEW

Hi guys,

I would like to see my data being recorded live (the data will appear one by one out live) in Excel. Is it possible to be done using LabVIEW?

I have to capture the data every second for 1 minute. 

All the data I am capturing using camera. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,625 Views)

Yes you can, but to quote Jurassic Park:

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Message 2 of 6
(2,604 Views)

@parthpanchal07 wrote:

Hi guys,

I would like to see my data being recorded live (the data will appear one by one out live) in Excel. Is it possible to be done using LabVIEW?

I have to capture the data every second for 1 minute. 

All the data I am capturing using camera. 

Thanks in advance!

Let me get this straight, you are "capturing data" with a camera?

And you want that data to be imported into Excel?

And you want to see that data being imported "live" in an open Excel spreadsheet?

So do you want to insert pictures into Excel, or do you want the "data" captured in these pictures to be magically converted from a picture to actual numbers in Excel?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,578 Views)

Hello,

Actually, I already extract the information from image using imaq. I have data I just want to monitor the data using excel. 

i.e. every second recording the data in excel.

Here I have attached the VI what I attempt, but when I am capturing the data my front panel freeze. If you can help me to improve this VI. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,556 Views)

Hello parthpanchal07,

It's likely because of the setting of the event structure. If you go to the edit events window, the Lock panel checkbox is checked and it's probably a lot of data being transferred. Try disabling this and see if it behaves differently.

I would recommend having a look at the producer/consumer design pattern and avoid using Local variables because you might have repeated or missing data.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3023/en/

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,548 Views)

I see now you are only logging a 1x2 array to the Excel sheet. I am still confused why you want to view the data "live" in Excel instead of on the front panel.

Either way, that is serious abuse of the event structure. Putting while loops inside events is a good way to lock up the UI. As it is now, when you press "Logiing" it will run the while loop for ~20 seconds and then the event structure has finished executing. It will not execute again until you restart the VI, does this make sense?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,540 Views)